VMware Cloud Community
thealco
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

cloning windows 2008 R2 Server without reactivation

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to create a sysprepd image of Windows 2008 R2 using vmware template, however after cloning I am asked to activate windows ( I am using a volume license key with a VL version of Windows). Initially, I did activate it however after cloning I have to re-activate it. This happens regardless whether sysprep has been run or not. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to resolve this problem? I am trying to avoid reactivating Windows so I do not have to start contacting Microsoft once the number of activations has been reached.

I haven't been able to locate a post with the same topic, however if there is one please let me know where to find it.

Kind regards,

Petar

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
svisen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi , i am consedering that u want to activate just one win2008 and run copy of it on your exsi, well i would sujjest you to take the snapshot of the Activated win and Shut it down and copy  the folder[vmdk files and the vmxs files] with an new name and add the same vmx file to the inventory with the different name and power it up chnge the ip and the computer name,

its an cheeky meathod Smiley Happy

Thanks

svisen

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
svisen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi , i am consedering that u want to activate just one win2008 and run copy of it on your exsi, well i would sujjest you to take the snapshot of the Activated win and Shut it down and copy  the folder[vmdk files and the vmxs files] with an new name and add the same vmx file to the inventory with the different name and power it up chnge the ip and the computer name,

its an cheeky meathod Smiley Happy

Thanks

svisen

0 Kudos
thealco
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Svisen.

I thought about doing that, but it seems like such a pain. I would have thought that using vSphere client and then cloning woud prove to do just that. So I am not just crazy, this is how it works? Interesting that having a VL license and VL version of Windows still requires re activation (sometimes Win2k3 had its advantages)

Re copying files, I tried using SSH client to copy however the files are then no longer visible when I browse the datastore (althugh I didn't copy I tried renaming the files). Am I doing smoething wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Petar

0 Kudos
svisen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

@petar

agree its really very painful, you are telling that you are not able see your files in the datastore when using the ssh client..?

well you need to check care fully, i would suggest you to go for fastscp[trial] would also solve your problem please recheck that you have enabled the ssh correctly

more info like error would be more helpful

Thanks

Svisen

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can't just rename the files using the cp command. Renaming that way breaks internal the file references. If you want to rename the files you will need to use vmkfstools.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
thealco
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the help guys. Problem solved.

Cheers,
Petar

0 Kudos