VMware Cloud Community
drivera01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

cloning a 1500Gb VM

I known there are many factors in order to answer this, but is there an average GB/hour rate to expect. ASSUMING we have no bottlenecks in the storage and we are using scream 15k disk.. source and target.. I also would plan to clone it off hours and while it is powered off.

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
nielse
Expert
Expert

This is very hard to calculate. Is this on local storage or via a SAN?

@nielsengelen - http://foonet.be - VCP4/5
0 Kudos
drivera01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

it is 15K FC SAN. I realize their is no silver bullet answer to this question since there are many variables to consider. 

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

Asuming your disks are not a bottleneck, its your speed of a single link to the array.

If you have 1GBit iSCSI, for example, you should expect no more than 112MB/sec combined, so 60ish MB/sec clone rate.

How are you connecting?  Via what array?  How many disks.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
Paul11
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have done a Storage VMotion with an VM with 1.16 TB in 2 hours an 6 minutes. I think cloning a VM will be very similar.

The VM is located on redundant Storage, so the data will be read once and written twice. So the whole size of moved date should be about 3,5 TB.

The Storage supports Hardware Acceleration so there is no traffic between the ESX-Host and the SAN. The SAN consists of 420 disks with 600 GB/15K.

The move was done while the VM was powered on and there was other traffic on the SAN as well. In this environment the VM moves with 153 MB/s and generates a SAN Load of about 460 MB/s. May be this can help you a little bit to calculate the estimation time.

Paul

drivera01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you,

for the info.

What I can tell you is it would be nice to have your backend storage. Heck I have done 300 or 400gb svmtions that took that long... I do not know what the underling disk structure of the raid groups are since im not privy to that info. oh well, i was trying to figure it out so I can figure out a downtime, im just going to do it while the vm is online. I rather not but life goes on.

thanks

0 Kudos