VMware Cloud Community
robertortel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

chkdsk equivalent for servers own vmfs filesystem?

Hello,

during a copy with SCP I got:

[...]

vmware-3.log                                                                          100%   86KB  86.1KB/s   00:00
vmware-4.log                                                                          100%  224KB 223.6KB/s   00:00

RacNode2_11.2-flat.vmdk                                                                51%   13GB   0.0KB/s - stalled -

RacNode2_11.2/RacNode2_11.2-flat.vmdk: Input/output error
RacNode2_11.2.vmdk                                                                    100%  500     0.5KB/s   00:00

[...]

so it looks like the local VMFS filesystem is damaged - or even worse - the local disk. Is there any way to check the local filesystem/disk like chkdsk can do it in other OS?

I am NOT looking for a way to check vmdk files using vmkfstools. I want to check the local VMFS file system on the ESXi server itself.

Please help.

Regards,

Robert

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

There is no chkdsk command for general consumption. If you have an issue like this contact support, you don't want to play around with a shared volume that holds multiple workloads.

Duncan

Yellow-Bricks.com

vSphere 5 Clustering Deepdive - eBook | Paper

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Just to make sure. The VM was powered off (flat-vmdk not in use) while copying the files!?

André

0 Kudos
robertortel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hello,

yes, indeed. VM was powered off. Any idea on the filesystem check?

Robert

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Sorry, no there's nothing that I would know of that's available.

I'd suggest you follow Duncan's recommendation and call VMware Support with this issue.

André

mamancana
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, i have the same error, did you solve this problem?

if so, could you tell me how to fix it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
robertortel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi,

no, I did not really solve it. I downloaded this file with vsphere instead and this worked however. I kept the old file as kind of dummy file to never touch those blocks again. As I never had issues again with this disk and filesystem this worked for me and even now.

Robert

0 Kudos