VMware Cloud Community
oliver_g
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

changing esxi host ip address - any side effects?

Hello Members,

I have seen many ways to change an IP address of an exsi host - but no information on possible problems

if an ip address on a host is changed. I have two Standalones hosts, one with VCSA running as a vm,

and Three hosts that are on VCSA -I am required to change all ip addresses on this environment.

I am still trying to find out if I can or cannot change the IP of or VCSA - I do not need info on this as I have seen

several posts on doing (or not doing) this. I may have to build a new VCSA, - Still checking that.

Is it possible to change the ip address of the host in VCSA without impacting the vms on the host?

Should I change the ip address of the vm before changing the ip of the host (in VCSA or not).

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Oliver G.,

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Lots of information on your previous thread: Esxi Host IP Changing - and hosted vm's

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
jburen
Expert
Expert

Is it possible to change the ip address of the host in VCSA without impacting the vms on the host? Yes, but you change it on the host.

Should I change the ip address of the vm before changing the ip of the host (in VCSA or not). It doesn't matter.

Consider giving Kudos if you think my response helped you in any way.
oliver_g
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello jburen and

Thanks for the information. Also sorry for the duplicate post. I will check the link on effective posts.

I have been searching for a way to find what I have posted in this community, but have yet to find out

how to find questions/responses I have posted.

Thanks,

OliverG

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Click on your name in the upper right and click on preferences and make sure you set it to yes for anything you want emails about.

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos