VMware Cloud Community
B2NY
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

cant create new data store

i get " no free space " although i have two SATA 1TB installed on my server.

i have already deployed a vm with 80Gb data store and its running, I think the other disk is not being detected.

but cant i use the free space (around 800 Gb) on the same disk for another VMFS partition for a new vm ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ashwin_prakash
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Since this looks to be configured as a Individual disk, you should get the option under Actions to extend the disk, instead of creating a new datastore.

Sincerely,
Ashwin Prakash
Skyline Support Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ashwin_prakash
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hello,

I would like to inform you that Datastore and VMFS add or edit configuration depends the type of RAID volume that you have configured on the server.

If the RAID volume is already configured for the complete 1 TB or 2 TB and presented to the ESXI host.

You could configure and create multiple Datastore on the ESXI host using the same RAID volume.

Sincerely,
Ashwin Prakash
0 Kudos
B2NY
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

asdfghd.jpg sdwfre.jpg

is there a guide on how to do that, at the moment the screenshots above is all i am getting

0 Kudos
ashwin_prakash
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Since this looks to be configured as a Individual disk, you should get the option under Actions to extend the disk, instead of creating a new datastore.

Sincerely,
Ashwin Prakash
0 Kudos
ashwin_prakash
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Also would not recommend you to install the OS and also configure Datastore using the same disk.

In case there is an issue with the OS and if you happen to reinstall the OS, data stored on the Datastore would be wiped our at the time of installation.

Instead you could install the ESXI on a USB or SD Card, and use the Drives as datastore.

Sincerely,
Ashwin Prakash
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

That's a strange partition layout. The installer usually uses all free disk space for the VMFS partition.

Anyway, the VMFS partition (datastore) on the installation disk can only be resized from the command line (see https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2002461)

André

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

HI ,

Model Of Server ?

How many Raid Group available on the host ? and Raid Configuration

If you have two individual RAID configuration  then you will be able to install ESXi on one  Logical Volume and another you can configure as datastore .

In case you have only single raid ( Raid 1 )  then you will get option to create new datastore .

May be you have create only one Raid and installed ESXi on that ,  in that case create one more raid from radi controller menu  and try to create new datastore , it should work .

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos