VMware Cloud Community
spahari
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

cannot run .pl script in ESXi 4.1

Hello all,

I want to install Nagios in VMware ESXi. But I found problem while running the script.

/vmfs/volumes/4d418fae-5f542615-60d7-e41f13452b96/vmware-vsphere-cli-distrib # ./vmware-install.pl
-ash: ./vmware-install.pl: not found

Therefore please suggesst me, how to install perl on it?

My ESXi version is 4.1 build 260247

Thanking you all in advance!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you do an Internet search for "console commands with ESXi" you'll find lots of sample docs.  The preferred method of  scripting for ESXi is to use the vCLI (vSphere Command Line Interface) or PowerCLI (PowerShell add-on).  Console access to your host is more for troubleshooting purposes.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

esxi is a stripped down version with no linux there. probably your success rate is higher on a linux based ESX. again look at nagios installation guide ..

Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I believe you'll want to run that within the VM and not on the host.  http://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nagiosxi/docs/Monitoring_VMware_With_Nagios_XI.pdf.

spahari
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!

As I am a beginner VMware user. So what I have to do if I want to run linux commands in ESXi ?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you do an Internet search for "console commands with ESXi" you'll find lots of sample docs.  The preferred method of  scripting for ESXi is to use the vCLI (vSphere Command Line Interface) or PowerCLI (PowerShell add-on).  Console access to your host is more for troubleshooting purposes.

0 Kudos