VMware Cloud Community
ArielStu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

cannot ping a guest: redhat5 32 bit

Hi

After s clean install of ISO's (no errors) this guest machine,  a see a peth0 adapter instead of eth0 and does not work

even if i delete all the devices and hardware, still does not work,  any ideas

thanks

Ariel

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Walfordr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

ArielStu wrote:

Hi

After s clean install of ISO's (no errors) this guest machine,  a see a peth0 adapter instead of eth0 and does not work

thanks

Ariel

@Ariel

Can you ping from the guest to other systems (default gateway) on the local network which will accept pings?

Did you install VMware tools on the RHEL5 guest?

Which kernel are you running?  uname -sr

Installing RHEL5 with virtualization installs a Xen kernel which I have seen cause problems.  I think it throws the peth0 bridge interface in the configuration as well.  You can try re-installing RHEL5 with no virtualization and no IPV6 then install VMware tools.

Robert -- BSIT, VCP3/VCP4, A+, MCP (Wow I haven't updated my profile since 4.1 days) -- Please consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Walfordr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

ArielStu wrote:

Hi

thanks

Ariel

@Ariel

Can you ping from the guest to other systems (default gateway) on the local network which will accept pings?

Did you install VMware tools on the RHEL5 guest?

Which kernel are you running?  uname -sr

Installing RHEL5 with virtualization installs a Xen kernel which I have seen cause problems.  I think it throws the peth0 bridge interface in the configuration as well.  You can try re-installing RHEL5 with no virtualization and no IPV6 then install VMware tools.

Robert -- BSIT, VCP3/VCP4, A+, MCP (Wow I haven't updated my profile since 4.1 days) -- Please consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
0 Kudos