VMware Cloud Community
jepoytengco
Contributor
Contributor

cannot find vsphere HA master agent

Just setup a cluster and added 2 hosts, not sure why it just showed me a red alert showing "Cannot find vSphere HA master agent"

What I did so far is disbaled/enabled HA but still shows up

Thanks

Jeff

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
MikeStoica
Expert
Expert

What ESXi version are you running?

0 Kudos
jepoytengco
Contributor
Contributor

6.7 U1 build 10764712

0 Kudos
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert

This usually indicates that the kernel management ports are unable to communicate properly. They might for example have a firewall between them blocking some required ports or packets, or they might be setup on different subnets with no gateway or router to allow them to communicate.

In short the kernel ports need to be configured onto the same network.

0 Kudos
diegodco31
Leadership
Leadership

Hi

Did you try to disable HA and then enable it on your cluster again?

VMware Knowledge Base

Diego Oliveira
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/dcodiego
0 Kudos
jepoytengco
Contributor
Contributor

@StephenMoll

I can check the connectivity among hosts.

Thanks

Jeff

0 Kudos
jepoytengco
Contributor
Contributor

@Diego

I did disable/enable the HA feature but didn't help.

Thanks

Jeff

0 Kudos
jepoytengco
Contributor
Contributor

Issue has been resolved. I went to the hosts vmkernel port settings and for some reason vsan wasn't checked. Only management is checked. So after I ticked vsan for both hosts vmkernel, it went away and it's now connected.

Thanks for all inputs

Jeff

0 Kudos
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert

Using HA on a VSAN cluster requires a minimum of three Esxi hosts.

There was no indication in your original post that you were using VSAN. It is true that HA uses the VSAN storage network instead of the Management network in such setups.

Anyway the warning stands... 2 hosts is not a supported configuration for HA on a VSAN cluster.

0 Kudos
jepoytengco
Contributor
Contributor

Apologies for the incomplete info. Basically the setup is using 2 hosts, and the 3rd host will be installed with vcsa and vsan witness.

0 Kudos
StephenMoll
Expert
Expert

Ah OK.

Another thing that may be relevant is that when there are less than four hosts in a VSAN cluster, data cannot be maintained in compliance with the FTT policy, so care must be taken if any host maintenance is required.

Also I don't believe VSAN will auto-recover from a host failure with less than four hosts. Once a failed host is repaired or replaced, the recover process might be manual.

MM83J
Contributor
Contributor

i have the same issue and solved by troubleshooting this article:

https://pyodoo.com/article/vmware-vcenter-6x-cannot-find-vsphere-ha-master-agent-alarm/

0 Kudos