VMware Cloud Community
trink408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

cannot create quiesced snapshot after extending c: drive

Hey everyone, ran into this issue recently, so far haven't resolved it...

This is running on esxi 4.1 U2 host.

The vm is a windows 2008 64 bit machine, with Exchange 2007 sp1 on it. It has been in production for over 2 years, and never had an issue with backups/snapshots.

The vm was running out of space on the c: drive, so I went in and added some space. Everything went fine, additional space was visible right away after extending drive in disk manager. Rebooted anyway for good measure.

Since performing that task, vcenter will no longer complete a quiesced snapshot of the vm. I can take a standard snapshot, but if I quiesce the file system it gets to 95% and hangs, then eventually errors out, saying it timed out trying to hold off I/O in the frozen vm. I've read through many articled about this problem with snapshots, but haven't found anything that seems to work.

One thing I noticed is when I bring up the server after a reboot, all the vss writers show stable no errors, after I try to run a quiesced snapshot the Exchange vss writer shows Failed: Inconsistent Shadow Copy. If I restart the Information Store, it will be stable again, but same thing happens as soon as I try to run a snapshot. Maybe I'm chasing the wrong rabbit with that, since that status shows what happened on the last time you tried to use vss.

I guess any suggestions or ideas are appreciated, for now I'm backing up without quiescing the system, but don't understand why after expanding the c: drive it no longer works...

Thanks

Kevin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lessi001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

try to re-register the VSS components as descripted here:

http://www.running-system.com/tsm-vm-backup-error-during-quiescing-error-code-5-idispatch-error-8472...

Regards

Andi

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
lvaibhavt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
Lessi001
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

try to re-register the VSS components as descripted here:

http://www.running-system.com/tsm-vm-backup-error-during-quiescing-error-code-5-idispatch-error-8472...

Regards

Andi

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary, and those who do not.
0 Kudos
trink408
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks so much for that link to re-registering the vss components, that fixed it!! Been fooling around with this for a couple weeks..

Kevin

0 Kudos