VMware Cloud Community
ksc1278
Contributor
Contributor

cannot connect to ESXi host until shell is opened

I have an ESXi host running version 5.5.0, 2068190. This host is located on a different subnet from the computer I am on. Everything was working fine for the longest time, but here is the problem, that for the life of me, I cannot figure out.

I am unable to connect to the host with the vSphere client. I cannot even ping the server. However, if I log into a machine that is local to the subnet of the ESXi host, I am able to ping and connect with the vSphere client fine. If I open a shell from a machine local to the subnet of the ESXi host, I am then able to connect across the subnet. It will actually hold for a while, then revert back to the broken state after a while. I cannot say for sure how long before it breaks again and I have to repeat the process.

Anyone ever seen anything like this, or have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DavoudTeimouri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Did you check your router/switches and also do you have any firewall between ESXi and client computer?

I think, this is related to your default gateways and routing tables.

Because you can connect to that via local subnet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Davoud Teimouri - https://www.teimouri.net - Twitter: @davoud_teimouri Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/teimouri.net/
0 Kudos
ksc1278
Contributor
Contributor

That was my first thought when I could not connect anymore, but I was able to connect to other machines crossing the networks and local to the same switch as the ESXi host.

Remember, if I log into a machine on that subnet, I can Putty into the host. Soon as I type the username and hit enter, the machine on the other network can connect fine.

0 Kudos
JimKnopf99
Commander
Commander

Hi,

if you are able to login to your host if you are located on the same vlan as the host itself, check gateway settings on the host.

Frank

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
ksc1278
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah. There aren't any vlans involved really. Everything does work locally and connectivity is fine on the host's local network. Traffic to another subnet will not work you open a shell. There may be something else that is triggering it, but this is what I found. It's weird.

0 Kudos
ksc1278
Contributor
Contributor

Since the machine was for test, I figured it would be fine having the vm traffic and management on the same network. This has never really caused a problem in the past. I have since put the vm traffic on a different NIC and I have not had the problem since. I am going to run with this for now. Thanks all for the replies.

0 Kudos