VMware Cloud Community
rmustafa
Contributor
Contributor

cannot able to see the assigned FCP LUNS when scanning the FC channel

Hi,

I have M1000e chassis, on that I have installed ESX4 on blade M710 server.

I've created LUNS on my netapp FAS 3140, added initiator group for each ESX server,mapping is also done, I think everything is ok from the storage side.

storage is connected to a SAN switch & M1000e port 17 is connected to a SAN switch.

Now when I'm trying to scan the Fiber Channel on ESX 4 through VSphere, it is not detecting the assigned LUNS.

Please help me on this issue.

Note:I'm running vcenter in evaluation mode, but ESX 4 are licensed.

~Rashid

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rmustafa
Contributor
Contributor

Someone please help me on this issue.

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Someone please help me on this issue

call the storage vendor, ask them to explain "zoning" or "masking" for your LUN's. If the LUNS ARE visible to ESX, then a rescan WILL work, if they aren't they won't. FC LUNS are VERY straight forward, either they are visible and accessible or they aren't, either way you have to ensure you configure them properly.

LUN ID's MUST be unique. (each LUN is a different ID).

The SAME ID should be used for EACH HBA on EACH HOST.

the SAN Switch must also be configured for zoning to ensure the path from the host can "see" the LUN on Netapp.

so either SAN Switch zoning needs to be setup properly (WWNN/WWPN) or LUN initiator groups should include BOTH WWNN & WWPN for it to work.

0 Kudos
rmustafa
Contributor
Contributor

Thankyou so much for your answer,I have one question, I've putted LUNs ID 0 for all 3 LUNS for 3 different ESX server, Do I need to change it in order of 1, 2 & 3 ???

I can see WWN when I'm trying to add initiator group, what I did is, I created a separate initiator group for all 3 ESX4 server separately & WWN no was automatically detected by initiator group, from this I understand there is a communication between netapp FAS3140 storage to ESX blade server.

I think you can help me out from this issue as I'm bit new with SAN.

Thanks in advance for your help.

~Rashid

0 Kudos