VMware Cloud Community
Alfons1714
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

can't see a new virtual disc from ESXi for adding a datastaore

I have a couple of hosts in 6.0  essentials plus.
I have a Dell MD3400 and I have a raid 5 with one virtual disk, 
In the hosts I have a datastatore with the complete virtual disk.

Now I added a few disks to the cabinet . Added the disks to the raid. Then created a seccond virtual disk. (new LUN)
Both virtual disks are assigned to the same host group.

The cabinet is connected to the ESXi hosts via SAS .

I try to add a new datastore with this new  virtual disc. But it does not appear in the esxi client  for being added.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks in advanced

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please don't mind me asking, but did you already rescan the SAS adapter on the ESXi host? Does the new LUN show up under Storage Devices?

André

0 Kudos
Alfons1714
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, 
Curiosly I have the problem only in one of the couple of  hosts.

Both are Dell R430. But were not supplied at the same time.
The first shows MegaRAID SAS iInvader Controller
The second  has a Dell 12 gbps SAS HBA external

After rescan, the first does not show the new virtual disc, but the seccond does. 
So, the seccond has the second datastore and  the first host only the first datastore.

0 Kudos
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

Do you have assign a proper ACL on the MD3 for that LUN? In most cased the Admin have created a Group which have the Hosts as Members so when a new Virtual Disk is created you only need to assign it to that Group.

Because you mentioned the Dell 12G SAS HBA..... when having a Dell SC(aka Compellent) with SAS you need an Adv. ESXi parameter for the driver. Otherwise you only see half of the LUNs.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos
Alfons1714
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

the Del 12 gbps HBA is the one that shows the two luns.

Tha one tha only shows the first is the  Mega Raid SAS invader.

The second LUN is cofigured for being accesable by the host group. Which is composed by the two SAS connectors of the two hosts.

In reference to the Adv. ESXi parameter for the driver... I don't know the meaning

0 Kudos
Alfons1714
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I made a mistake.

The driver for the firts host, which doen not see the second LUN is LSI logic fusion-MPT 12 GSAS SAS3008 PCI-express

In the details frame of this adapter I only see the first LUN

0 Kudos
Alfons1714
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well. 
Reboot ESXi and solved.!!!

0 Kudos