VMware Cloud Community
lisoftware
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

can't install 64bits OS

I use one hp workstation which can support VT technology installing vmware workstation 7.00 and 6.50, then install vsphere 4.0 and openfiler2.3 on it. When i connected a physical client which install visual center on it, i found strange error message:

What i confused is i was installing 64 bits on the host before, but failed not. i really don't know what happened. i had tried to reinstall whole box.

could somebody help me? thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can't install 64bit guests inside ESX running inside Workstation.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can't install 64bit guests inside ESX running inside Workstation.

0 Kudos
lisoftware
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

that is not true. i had installed 64bits OS on the platform successfully several weeks ago and did not get any error messages.

i saw another post on the forum with same error. they didn't enable VT option on bios. but i did.

one thing need to confirm is I installed wind2008 standard 64bit, this time is windows2008 r2 64bits. i don't know if there is some differences.

anyway, thanks for your response.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Are you trying to create a 64 bit VM running on your vSphere VM? If so, you can't and will only be able to run 32 bit nested VM. Workstation doesn't pass up the VT extensions up to the vSphere VM so the best you can get is 32 bit VMs.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

Now available - vSphere Quick Start Guide

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Here is a reference to nested VMs

http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8970

0 Kudos
lisoftware
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks very much.

I am builting my Testing environment this moment and tried several solutions. one solution is directly installed esx4.0 host on physical server. because I want to perform some advanced functions and want to good extension in future, so I redesigned my infrastructure again and again.

I hope this time I can solve my problems.

0 Kudos