VMware Cloud Community
MGregory1
Contributor
Contributor

can't expand virtual disk size, reverts back to original size

I couldn't find the ESXi 3.5 forum, if one even exists... Difficult to easily find forums on this site.

Anyhow I have a ESXi 3.5 server with a VM running WIndows server 2003 standard 32bit, LSI logic based SCSI controller. It is 30 GB and I shut it down to increase it to 35 GB, which i've done in the past... but now when I do it, the task "Reconfigure Virtual Machine" shows as completed, but the size still remains 30 GB. It shows max size of 59 GB, so I'm not going over the remaining storage space on the host so I don't know why it isn't working.

Any ideas on how to fix this here?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To verify, it's not just a display issue, can you please check the vmdk size using the datastore browser.

André

0 Kudos
MGregory1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I tried powering on the machine and it was still only 30 GB. I also checked the actual file in the datastore and it is indeed 30 GB. Usually the extra space would show as unpartitioned in Windows disk manager. For the time being I just added another virtual disk, that worked fine.

0 Kudos
tco35
Contributor
Contributor

Well, same problem for me for ESX 3.5.

Work for some VM, dn't work for some other.

Don't have any idea and fin nothing on internet.

0 Kudos
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert

I normally use VMware Standalone Converter and convert an existing VM that requires to resize the hard disk within the same ESXi server as it allows you to resize the hard disk.

Now I don't know how much space you have in your datastore that would allow you to create another copy of the same VM for resizing the hard disk.

Regards,

Nikhil

0 Kudos
tco35
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, find the solution.

The VI doesn't show all snapshot. To verify, go to edit setting then look at the "disk file". If it is like vmname-00000x.vmdk then there is a old snapshot.

Must create a snapshot, then clic on "delete all" (not just "delete") on snapshot manager.

After that it works !

0 Kudos