VMware Cloud Community
Curtsen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

can't exit vi on console

I want to enable ssh om my esx 4i on the console

i enter unsupported and edit the inetd.conf file, but when i press escape to exit vi nothing happens so i cant save the file

the only way out of i is to press ctrl-z but the the file is not saved.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kasraeian
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

In console use the following steps.

vi /etc/inetd.conf

go to Edit mode by pressing "i" and then delete the # sign before SSH, so it would be like this:

ssh stream tcp nowait root /sbin/dropbearmulti dropbear ++min=

Then press : once and the type "wq" in order to "write and quit" and press enter of course

Then you would be back in the console

Totaly it would be like this

vi /etc/inetd.conf
change the #SSH to SSH by deleting the # sign
typing :wq and pressing Enter

Its better to restart the host to using ssh, also you can restart the service but I always restart it myself Smiley Wink

-= If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" =-

-= If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! =-

-= Thanks =-

MCTS, VCP

If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! Sohrab Kasraeianfard | http://www.kasraeian.com | @Kasraeian

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Kasraeian
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hello,

In console use the following steps.

vi /etc/inetd.conf

go to Edit mode by pressing "i" and then delete the # sign before SSH, so it would be like this:

ssh stream tcp nowait root /sbin/dropbearmulti dropbear ++min=

Then press : once and the type "wq" in order to "write and quit" and press enter of course

Then you would be back in the console

Totaly it would be like this

vi /etc/inetd.conf
change the #SSH to SSH by deleting the # sign
typing :wq and pressing Enter

Its better to restart the host to using ssh, also you can restart the service but I always restart it myself Smiley Wink

-= If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" =-

-= Thanks =-

MCTS, VCP

If you found this note/reply useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" If there's any mistake in my notes, please correct me! Sohrab Kasraeianfard | http://www.kasraeian.com | @Kasraeian
0 Kudos
Curtsen
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks that seem to help

after pressing and deiting the line i could jow prees escape and write :wq and the file was saved

i seems that al the guides i fund the little thing about pressing i was missing

thanks alot for the help

0 Kudos
Kasraeian
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Your welcome

I'm not expert Linux user (I'm newbie) but i think we have to press "i" for changing mode from "view" to "edit". vi is one of linux tools so I think we have to do it in that way.

But some time by just pressing backspace, it starting deleting characters and changing to "edit mode"

-= Thanks =-

MCTS, VCP

0 Kudos
SRINIVASUmu
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It should be

:,q

Regards,

Srinivasu.Muchcherla

0 Kudos