VMware Cloud Community
vincentsi3g
Contributor
Contributor

can't connect to esxi anymore since change the network configuration

Hi,

I have a big problem. I can't connect to my esxi (via vsphere client ou ssh) since I made changes on the network configuration.

This what I had before (and works well) :

- vmnic2 : interface used by all my VM

- vmnic7 : interface used to the iscsi connection to my nas

- vusb0 : i don't know the use

I change the ip of the vusb0 from 169.254.95.120 to an IP on my lan 128.1.2.102

Since i changed that, I can't connect to my esxi.

I guess I made a big mistake.

Is there someone who could help me to fix my BIG mistake?

Thanks a lot by advance.

Regards,

vincent

0 Kudos
13 Replies
brunofernandez1

try to configure it thru the DCUI

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards from Switzerland, B. Fernandez http://vpxa.info/
0 Kudos
vincentsi3g
Contributor
Contributor

If i'm not wrong I can only access the dcui thru the ssh.

And the ssh doesn't connect anymore to the esxi.

0 Kudos
brunofernandez1

no the DCUI can also be accessed through a monitor and a keyboard connected directly to the esxi server Smiley Happy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards from Switzerland, B. Fernandez http://vpxa.info/
0 Kudos
vincentsi3g
Contributor
Contributor

ok but i'm not in my office until monday.

Can I do something from my house?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Assuming it's an IBM host you may want to read IBM Why does my VMware ESXi 5.x host have standard virtual switch vSwitchUSB0 with VMkernel port gro...

In addition to this, http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2081478 shows a command to delete this vSwitch, which should then automatically be recreated with the correct settings.

Note: I'm not familiar with IBM hosts, so read the above mentioned articles carefully!

André

0 Kudos
vincentsi3g
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks andre, my host is an IBM.

I read the two articles with attention.

I guess the famous vusb0 created is linked to a switchusb0 somewhere.

But I think i have to be in front of the server.

Is there any way to do something at distance ?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Since you cannot access ESXi through the vSphere Client and SSH, there's not much you can do from remote, unless the host itself offers a remote management (IMM, RSA) option.

André

0 Kudos
vincentsi3g
Contributor
Contributor

I can't find the ip adress of the imm card on the IBM server.

I think I've to wait to monday.

Do you have any information of the command line i'll use when i'll be in front of the server using the dcui ?

regards,

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

After logging in to the DCUI, enable ESXi shell access from the Troubleshooting Options menu, then press ALT-F1 to switch to a console screen. From there you may start troubleshooting, or use - if you want - use the command from the KB article I posted to delete the USB vSwitch. maybe this already resolves the connection issue!? If not switch back to the DCUI (ALT-F2) and try restarting the Management Agents to see whether this helps.

André

0 Kudos
vincentsi3g
Contributor
Contributor

thanks a lot.

I found an option in the dcui to restore changes on the network interface. I think i'll try this before doing anything else.

The kb you sent me seems to be helpful. I'll try it.

I'll keep you in touch.

0 Kudos
mjha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi Vincent you don't need SSH to access your Esxi host DCUI. There are 2 methods available. If the server is present in your environment locally then you can walk into your datacenter and connect a monitor to your Esxi host and access DCUI. The simpler method is if you have anything configured like iDRAC or iLO or KVM ( in UCS) then take the servers console remotely and then use DCUI and troubleshoot Network config from there.

Please mark the answer as correct or helpful if it is informational to you.

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you think your query have been answered correctly. Manish Jha | Operations Support Engineer | vCloud Air Operations vExpert 2015-17 | vExpert-NSX | vExpert-Cloud | VCAP6-DCV | VCP6-DCV | RHCE-7 Website : http://vstellar.com
0 Kudos
vincentsi3g
Contributor
Contributor

thanks a lot for all your answers.

The connection to my esxi came back last night by himself.

I didn't do anything.

I don't know why but it works and i'm happy.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

vincent

0 Kudos
kaisaryeldes
Contributor
Contributor

hello, i have a similar problem. Can I run vSphere client locally?

remote host not pinged  and the client does not have access.

2 question. If I change the ip address of the host, can I save my virtual machines, they are production projects.

0 Kudos