VMware Cloud Community
falkrehder
Contributor
Contributor

can i use vmkfstools -i to convert splitted vmdk file?

Hi,

i have to convert a win 2008 server, because it is running with vmware server 2.x. I didn't created the Host/Guest System so i was looking for the *.vmdk files.

There are two HDDs in use, "Virtual Machine.vmdk" and "SBS 2011.vmdk". My problem is that there are also "Virtual Machine-0000001.vmdk" and "SBS 2011-0000001.vmdk". (as you can see in the picture)

Normaly i copy the files to the new ESXi Host usin Veeam and convert them by using vmkfstools -i.

What do i have to do with these split files?

Convert all of them and name them as the original is named?

convert only the "primary" HDD and leave the second one untouched?

I hope someone can help me until tomorrow evening.

Greets

Falk

0 Kudos
8 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - Sounds like you have a snapshot in use - using the snapshot manager you will have to committ the snapshot to the base disk -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
falkrehder
Contributor
Contributor

Hi weinstein,

thanks for the fast answer. One additional qustion, do I have to merge them before or after I converted them?

Thank you

Falk

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Do it before -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
falkrehder
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again,

i just checked what i have to do tomorrow and i cant merge the vmdk with the snapshot.

It is running in vmserver 2.0 the only options i have are "Take/revert to/remove snapshot". Is it definetely not possible to copy only the *.vmdk file, convert it and start it in ESXi 5?

Thanks again

Falk

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It is running in vmserver 2.0 the only options i have are "Take/revert to/remove snapshot"

"Remove Snapshot" will merge the snapshot data into the base disks and then delete the 00001.vmdk files. If you still prefer to convert the .vmdk files, you can use the vmware-vdiskmanager command line tool to convert the virtual disks into an ESXi compatible format. If you are going to do this, make sure you specify the snapshot .vmdk file as the source in the command line!

Unless you have the command line tool, you can download it from the attachments in http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1023856

André

0 Kudos
falkrehder
Contributor
Contributor

Hi André.

can i also convert the snapshot file after i copied both vmdk's to the ESXi?

i would copy SBS.vmdk and SBS-0000001.vmdk to the new ESXi Server, and convert it via vmkfstools -i SBS-0000001.vmdk SBS-new.vmdk. Does the server understands that it's the snapshot and get all information out of both files?

edit: removing snapshot looks like the best way for me, i don't need the snapshots (i don't even know why they where taken), the System have to stay the same it is right now. So when i delete the Snapshot i should have only one vmdk file that is exactly like the server right now, right?

Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

"Remove Snapshot" will merge the deltas from the 00000x.vmdk files into their base .vmdk files. In your case - with 2 virtual disks - you'll end up with a "Virtual Machine.vmdk" and a "SBS 2011.vmdk".

André

0 Kudos
falkrehder
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot! I'm copying the vmdk's right now to have a backup and remove the snapshots when done.

If the Server boots with the new vmdk's (without) snapshots i'm going to convert them.

I'll write a post when it's done.

Falk

0 Kudos