VMware Cloud Community
srednausab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

can I install an ESXi hypervisor under windows as a type 2 hypervisor and manage it with VCenter Server

I have (or rather, will have) a Windows 2016 server.  Can I install ESXi as a type 2 hypervisor under Windows 2016?

If so, can I control/manage this instance of ESXi with vCenter Server installed remotely?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Using VMware Workstation, yes.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please allow me asking what the reason is behind this?

It may be something you can do for lab/testing purposes, but it's nothing you want to do for production. That would work much better the other way around.

André

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

Absolutely agree with André. On no account should this be done for anything other than a lab or testing.

0 Kudos
srednausab
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks, for responding, Andre.

First off, let me say that I'm relatively new to the VMWare world, though I've used Virtual Box on a couple of systems.

We are in the process of installing 5 physical servers (Dell R740/R440 mix) in our lab, each will have ESXi 6.7 installed.  With this we are getting

"vCenter Server" Standard licenses and the vendor's team will install vCenter on a VM.

When I searched the VMware site, I read that vCenter should be installed on a Windows system (I'm not sure what version of vCenter

we're getting; I suspect it's 6.7) and it can't be installed directly under ESXi , which I sort of understand.

So, to that end, we are also installing another real system with Windows 2016 Server.

Kind regards,

Barrie

0 Kudos
daphnissov
Immortal
Immortal

I read that vCenter should be installed on a Windows system (I'm not sure what version of vCenterwe're getting; I suspect it's 6.7) and it can't be installed directly under ESXi

No, that's not accurate. Windows vCenter is dead after 6.7 and should not be deployed. Use of the appliance should be the only path.

So, to that end, we are also installing another real system with Windows 2016 Server.

This would be a total waste of a Windows Server license and a physical machine. See the above comment. The vCenter Server Appliance (vCSA) is what should be deployed in your environment, which runs as a VM on one of these ESXi hosts. This is how it's done.