VMware Cloud Community
LionelM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

building esxi esxi Image with Network USB drivers ( not ARM version )

Hi,

I'm running a SBC lattepanda 4g/64gb ( intel processor ) . it requires to add the network USB driver ( here https://flings.vmware.com/flings?tag=USB+Driver ) , therefore, I found this ressource to build a custom image ISO :

https://www.v-front.de/p/esxi-customizer-ps.html

I have PowerCli installed, seems that my VMmodule is here

PS C:\Users\lionel\Desktop\ESXi-Customizer-PS-master> Get-Module -Name VMware.PowerCLI -ListAvailable

Directory: C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules

ModuleType Version                    PreRelease Name PSEdition ExportedCommands
---------- ------- ---------- ---- --------- ----------------
Manifest          12.3.0.17…              VMware.PowerCLI Desk

When I run the script, I get this

PS C:\Users\lionel\Desktop\ESXi-Customizer-PS-master> .\ESXi-Customizer-PS.ps1

This is ESXi-Customizer-PS Version 2.8.1 (visit https://ESXi-Customizer-PS.v-front.de for more information!)
(Call with -help for instructions)

Logging to C:\Users\lionel\AppData\Local\Temp\ESXi-Customizer-PS-17640.log ...

An unexpected error occurred:
The VMware.ImageBuilder module is not currently supported on the Core edition of PowerShell.

If requesting support please be sure to include the log file

searched in the forum, it state the same error when the module is NOT available, not like me

Thanks for your insights

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
berndweyand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

ok powercli is installled.

then it must be the wrong powershell edition - you can verify this with the global variable $PSEdition - it should give you "Desktop" and not "Core"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
berndweyand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

can you check if powercli is really installed ?

try get-powercliversion

if its not installed i assume that it is not working with powershell core version

LionelM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Seems to :

PS C:\Windows\System32> get-powercliversion
WARNING: Please consider joining the VMware Customer Experience Improvement Program, so you can help us make PowerCLI a better product. You can join using the following command:

Set-PowerCLIConfiguration -Scope User -ParticipateInCEIP $true

VMware's Customer Experience Improvement Program ("CEIP") provides VMware with information that enables VMware to improve its products and services, to fix problems, and to advise you on how best to deploy and use our products. As part of the CEIP, VMware collects technical information about your organization’s use of VMware products and services on a regular basis in association with your organization’s VMware license key(s). This information does not personally identify any individual.

For more details: type "help about_ceip" to see the related help article.

To disable this warning and set your preference use the following command and restart PowerShell:
Set-PowerCLIConfiguration -Scope User -ParticipateInCEIP $true or $false.
WARNING: The cmdlet "Get-PowerCLIVersion" is deprecated. Please use the 'Get-Module' cmdlet instead.

PowerCLI Version
----------------
VMware PowerCLI 12.2.0 build 17538434
---------------
Component Versions
---------------
VMware Common PowerCLI Component 12.3 build 17838947
VMware Cis Core PowerCLI Component PowerCLI Component 12.3 build 17839331
VMware VimAutomation VICore Commands PowerCLI Component PowerCLI Component 12.3 build 17839688

0 Kudos
berndweyand
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

ok powercli is installled.

then it must be the wrong powershell edition - you can verify this with the global variable $PSEdition - it should give you "Desktop" and not "Core"

LionelM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

well , i's my problem I guess :

PS C:\Windows\System32> echo $PSEdition
Core
PS C:\Windows\System32>

0 Kudos