VMware Cloud Community
techmen8080
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

brand new vm certifed server wont connect to network

Greetings all,

I pluged in my new vm certified server to my datacenter network and it loaded everything fine. I confirgued it according to network address given to me by the data center and at the end it was showing a screen with the correct static IP address and instructions download Vi via the IP shown. However, I could not get the static IP address to shown in a web browser nor coudId ping or ssh into the server via the IP shown.

I then asked for help and with a fee of 75.00 got a datacenter tech to confirm all the network settings were indeed correct. I then tried the network manager testing page in the configuration menu and found that the server could ping the IP of the default gateway of the datacenter but nothing else? Finally, the datacenter tech gave up and said he had never seen a VM OS system and would have no way to help me trouble shoot the probelm. The end result was I had to remove my new server from the center to fix the problem elsewhere. The goodnews is that Aberdeen the company I bought the server from is fine with taking it back and making sure everything is confirgured correctly and working. However, I would perfer to fix it myself rather than take the time to ship it back and forth.

Does problem sound familar to anybody? Something simple I am overlooking? Any suggestions before I send it back?

This is the first time I have tried something like this.

Thanks to all who have time to respond, Techmen

0 Kudos
35 Replies
techmen8080
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Datacenter reported that the duplex settings are set to "auto" and the switch recognizes a live server port. They also reported a similiar problem with another vmware account and are now spending the next 30 minutes investigating if the two problems are related on their end. They asked for the root password and I gave it to them. The datacenter is www.Nacio.com and to my novice eye seems to be a top level center. The engineers are now becoming familiar with Vmware with my, and now another, connectivity issue.

0 Kudos
techmen8080
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Datacenter reported that the duplex settings are set to "auto" and the

switch recognizes a live server port. They also reported a similiar

problem with another vmware account and are now spending the next 30

minutes investigating if the two problems are related on their end.

They asked for the root password and I gave it to them. The datacenter

is www.Nacio.com and to my novice eye seems to be a top level center.

The engineers are now becoming familiar with Vmware with my, and now

another, connectivity issue.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi will be set to auto by default as well. I would have them double check on any VLAN settings and also try a simple switch with a PC and the host.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

New book in town - vSphere Quick Start Guide -http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2009/08/12/new-book-in-town-vsphere-quick-start-guide/.

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL - http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21.

0 Kudos
techmen8080
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I asked the engineer to check the lan settings and it led him to discover that the ACL? settings needed to be reset so the vmware os could get out on two unsual ports. He then opened the two correct ports and all worked well. He also said that the nic card was set wrong.

In anycase it is all working now and I am downloading my first VA!

Thanks to all who took their precious time to respond, Techmen

0 Kudos
anupama
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do you have any idea of what poerts he has opend??

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I'd be curious to here as well. The VI client connects on https and the ping tests that were failing weren't anything special.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

New book in town - vSphere Quick Start Guide -http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2009/08/12/new-book-in-town-vsphere-quick-start-guide/.

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL - http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21.

0 Kudos
mnasir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I am curious - I never had to open ports for the ping to work or to connect using vi client.

Thanks,

Meraz

0 Kudos
anupama
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Pretty strange....!! Datacenter Engineer haven’t heard about VMware !

I think something else is going on...

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi does not have a firewall so no need to open any ports.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
mnasir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I don't think that is correct - esxi does have a firewall.

Thanks,

Meraz

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

No firewall. ESX has a firewall but not ESXi.

0 Kudos
techmen8080
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will ask for the specifc details of the port problem and post them here early next week. Thanks to all for responding.

0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Get this confirmed:

Is the port on the switch supposed to be an access port or a trunk port? This will tell you a lot about how to configure the networking.

Also note, the fact you can't ssh into it is normal for ESXi.

Can you tell us more about your hardware besides being "VMware ceritified". I've seen companies put together whiteboxes based on a few certified components and call it a certified server.. but it's not.

0 Kudos
mnasir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The port should be access port - also, I agree, you can't ssh to ESXi - I don't think it even comes with SSH daemon. The way you would manage esxi is by using rcli or vc or vic.

Thanks,

Meraz

0 Kudos
techmen8080
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I finally talked with the datacenter tech and he said the VMware box uses ports 443xxx and 443xxx and that those are not usually open in the ACL internal router firewall. He said anyone installing this kind of VMware box, who does not want problems, should be advised before hand that the box needs these ports open.

Does this sound true? If so this information should be sent with a new sever install package from VMware partners selling vmware certified servers. It should also be posted clearly on these forums (in a subject head) so peole can easily get the information and have their network ports opened.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Port 443 is the normal SSL port same as https. Also needs 902

0 Kudos