VMware Cloud Community
techmen8080
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

brand new vm certifed server wont connect to network

Greetings all,

I pluged in my new vm certified server to my datacenter network and it loaded everything fine. I confirgued it according to network address given to me by the data center and at the end it was showing a screen with the correct static IP address and instructions download Vi via the IP shown. However, I could not get the static IP address to shown in a web browser nor coudId ping or ssh into the server via the IP shown.

I then asked for help and with a fee of 75.00 got a datacenter tech to confirm all the network settings were indeed correct. I then tried the network manager testing page in the configuration menu and found that the server could ping the IP of the default gateway of the datacenter but nothing else? Finally, the datacenter tech gave up and said he had never seen a VM OS system and would have no way to help me trouble shoot the probelm. The end result was I had to remove my new server from the center to fix the problem elsewhere. The goodnews is that Aberdeen the company I bought the server from is fine with taking it back and making sure everything is confirgured correctly and working. However, I would perfer to fix it myself rather than take the time to ship it back and forth.

Does problem sound familar to anybody? Something simple I am overlooking? Any suggestions before I send it back?

This is the first time I have tried something like this.

Thanks to all who have time to respond, Techmen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi will be set to auto by default as well. I would have them double check on any VLAN settings and also try a simple switch with a PC and the host.

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

New book in town - vSphere Quick Start Guide -http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2009/08/12/new-book-in-town-vsphere-quick-start-guide/.

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL - http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
35 Replies
cookieme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi Techmen

I am not quite sure why it is not working for you, but perhaps as you are new to ESXi you have overlooked something when you first setup the management network settings. I have attached a document that shows the first steps one should take after installing ESXi.

Let me know if it resolved your problem or if you need more help.

EDIT: I re-read your post and you do not specify what hypervisor you are running except that your server is "VM certified"! Please let us know are you running full ESX or ESXi?

0 Kudos
techmen8080
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for responding Cookieme,

I will review the pdf.

I have a server with Vsphere 4 embedded which i think is basically esxi 4.0 in terms of the OS. Since esxi is frimware I have assumed that installation is not an issue and all I have to worry about is the stuff in the config menu. I am also assuming that certified server means that the hardware and esxi 4.0 are matched so there should not be conflicts of that sort.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

From the console GUI on ESXi are you able to ping an remote hosts?

Dave

New book in town - vSphere Quick Start Guide -http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2009/08/12/new-book-in-town-vsphere-quick-start-guide/.

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL - http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21.

cookieme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Ok, I understand. The pdf I attached is this applicable just skip over the installation steps.

You said that you had to remove the server from the data center. Maybe you have the option of taking it home or to your office and you can then make sure that everything is setup correctly and works in that environment before you bring it back to the data center.

techmen8080
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Not able to ping anything now. I only was able to get one ping response but strangely enough it was on one of the nic ports that shouldn't work for that at all. The nic0 port that is specified in the configuration does nothing. I am happy to report that after a lenghtly talk Aberdeen is taking it back to fix it at their expense. Fedex picks it up tomorrow. So far I am happy with the way Aberdeen is handling the situation.

0 Kudos
techmen8080
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The server is gettting shipped back tomorrow.

However, I am going to take your suggestion and set up a testing environment so the next time I can trouble shoot this stuff myself.

0 Kudos
mnasir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Does the speed duplex setting matches on both sides - EXI and the switch?

0 Kudos
cookieme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The server is gettting shipped back tomorrow.

However, I am going to take your suggestion and set up a testing environment so the next time I can trouble shoot this stuff myself.

Well, if you need any help setting up a test environment then these forums are invaluable! Good luck Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
techmen8080
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for responding.

I will investigate the duplex settings.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Was there an issue with the server? If there wasn't I would find another datacenter. I don't know what kind of troubleshooting the tech did but to dismiss it because they hadn't seen VM OS system would be a a red flag for me. What happens when you are in production and need help.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Would you be able to elaborate on this? How many NIC ports do you have in the host and how are they connected to the provider's network?

Not able to ping anything now. I only was able to get one ping response but strangely enough it was on one of the nic ports that shouldn't work for that at all. The nic0 port that is specified in the configuration does nothing.

0 Kudos
techmen8080
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I agree. It was strange to see a datacenter tech act like Vmware was from another planet!

0 Kudos
mnasir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Yap, really doesn't make any sense - time to change the vendor.

Thanks,

Meraz

0 Kudos
techmen8080
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I seem to have two nic ports on the onboard nic and two more on an additional nic card. I was advised to add the second card if I plan on doing video classes as part of a distance learning program I am running. The Aberdeen vmware consultant said he thought I might need the additional nic for great bandwith for video. Unfortunately, We tried to ping into each port and they all seemed dead. I have found out that the first onboard port should have been live and even though it is port 1 Vmware sees it as port 0. The providers network only gives me one RJ cable for one nic, however, they said they could add another for the second nic port at my request.

0 Kudos
techmen8080
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Aberdeen sent the server back to the datacenter with a letter saying it was configured and ready to be added to the network. When I opened the box the server was in there but no power cords or any of the mauals or any of the other stuff that was orgininally shipped with it. Luckly,I had a couple of power cords and powered it up. It booted up fine and arrived at the http page with the vi client download link. Unfortunately it would not show up on the web and would not ping. I went into the configuration and checked that all settings were correct and ran the nework managment test and it failed the ping test for any of the network settings.

I then set my laptop to the same settings and was able to get out of the datacenter and on to the web no problem. So I know the datacenter path is clear and the settings correct. The problem is not with the datacenter. I was able to call Aberdeen and get the tech who built the server on the phone directly with the datacenter engineer on duty. We are all standing around the crash cart as the two of them talked for about fifteen minutes and in the end the datacenter engineer said the problem was with the server and the Aberdeen tech said he had no idea why it was not working (it supposedly worked fine in his lab) and said he was going to set up a test server ito try to reproduce the problem on his end. He also siad I should call vmware and ask them what to do? I called vmware and they siad if I dont have a support contract they could not talk with me.

I also tried each nic port and rebooted each time and ran the network test and it failed on all four ports so at least I know I am not on the wrong port.

I am thinking that if the server cannot ping the network and I know the cable and setting are correct that there must be a problem wtih the configuration of the nic adapter or something preventing the ping from getting out. Does vmware have an internal firewall or anything esle that would prevent the connection.

I need to know a series of steps to trouble shoot the problem as the Aberdeen tech had none of offer. I am imagining that the vmwware os being linux like has a command line (I dont know how to get to it) that I could run some commands to verify the hardware is installed and set correctly.

What would cause the network test fail when all the network settings are correct and we know the network is live and functioning fine?

0 Kudos
mnasir
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you check the duplex settings on the switch side - it may need to match on both sides.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you have another switch that you could plug both the server and your PC into to check connectivity? Also are they using VLANs on the datacenter switch?

Dave

0 Kudos
techmen8080
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am totally sure about this, i wiil ask again, however the engineer said that the switch recognized the sever was connected.

0 Kudos
techmen8080
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

What should the settings be? or how do I find out what the settings are so I can call the datacenter engineer and check.

0 Kudos