VMware Cloud Community
marylandterp
Contributor
Contributor

bitnami-wordpress-3.1-0-opensuse-11.3 on esxi 4.1.0 hypervisor

Hello,

I am trying to install bitnami-wordpress-3.1-0-opensuse-11.3 on VMware ESXi 4.1.0 build-260247 (Hypervisor).

Here is how I tried to get this virtual machine running.

1. Transferred the vmdk files and vmx files onto my esxi 4.0 server under /vmfs/volumes/datastore/New Folder

2. From the vsphere client, I used the Add to Inventory option to register the vmx file.

3. Tried to power on this VM, but it failed to start giving an error. Please see the attached screenshot.

Can someone please tell me if anything else needs to be configured for this pre-configured vm availble open source.

Thanks

0 Kudos
20 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You can try the following:

1)  Edit the VM and remove the virtual hard disk (don't delete the disk)

2) copy the virtual disk with vmkfstools -  http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1005628

3)  Edit the VM and add the new virtual hard disk.

Or you could reimport the VM using VMware Converter.

marylandterp
Contributor
Contributor

vmkfstools -i disk.vmdk -d <diskformat> /vmfs/volumes/<datastore>/newdisk.vmdk

what should be <diskformat> ?

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You have these options, but you'll want to pick between zeroedthick, thin, or eagerzeroedthick.  With thin the virtual disk grows in size as space is consumed, with zeroedthick the virtual disk file is the actual size and the entired file is zeroed out. With eagerzeroedthick the virtual disk is the actual size but zeroing out only occurs before data is first written to a block.

-d --diskformat [zeroedthick|
                                thin|
                                eagerzeroedthick|
                                rdm:<device>|rdmp:<device>|
                                2gbsparse]

0 Kudos
marylandterp
Contributor
Contributor

error while using Editing Settings option. I had already registered this VM ( I just removed the disks) but each time while editing settings I got this message

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I would do the following:

1) create a new VM

2) edit the VM and remove the virtual HD

3) use vmkfstools to clone the virtual HD from your source VM to the new VM's folder

4) edit the VM and add the new disk.

0 Kudos
marylandterp
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to re-do by a fresh copy of my vmdk files into a new folder and started all over again without using old files but I keep getting:

Destination disk format: VMFS zeroedthick
Cloning disk 'bitnami-wordpress-3.1-0-opensuse-11.3.vmdk'...
Failed to clone disk : The file already exists (39).
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

If you tried to run vmkfstools -i /source_path/source.vmdk /destination_path/destination.vmk and then try to run it again you would need to delete the destination.vmdk file first (and note that there will be destination.vmdk and destination-flat.vmdk).

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

The error suggests that the destination file name already exists.  What is the full command that you're running.

0 Kudos
marylandterp
Contributor
Contributor

0. I deleted *ALL* the files and folders where I had copied the bitnami vmdk files. I deleted the destination in which I had cloned the files.

1. Today I tried it again on a different datastore.

2. I created 2 Folders- Bitnami WordPress and Formatted. In the first folder I copied the bitnami vmdk files which I downloaded from the web.

3. I went to ssh session and executed the following:

/vmfs/volumes/4c597cf2-b970c44a-a9c3-842b2b01cb6f/Bitnami WordPress # vmkfstools -i bitnami-wordpress-3.1-0-opensuse-11.3.vmdk -d thin /vmfs/volumes/datastore3/Formatted/

Destination disk format: VMFS thin-provisioned
Cloning disk 'bitnami-wordpress-3.1-0-opensuse-11.3.vmdk'...
Failed to clone disk : The file already exists (39).
/vmfs/volumes/4c597cf2-b970c44a-a9c3-842b2b01cb6f/Bitnami WordPress #
0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

You need a destination file name.

marylandterp
Contributor
Contributor

It worked! thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
marylandterp
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to know the reason why I had to format it and not use it as it was.

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

A VMDK file can come in a number of formats.   As noted earlier ESXi supports 3 formats and your source file was one of the unsupported options.

0 Kudos
marylandterp
Contributor
Contributor

awesome.

thanks!

0 Kudos
marylandterp
Contributor
Contributor

I am trying to install vmware tools on the Bitnami Opensuse 11.3, However am not able to use yast/startx.

I mounted the cdrom on /mnt/cdrom, and can see the vmware tools package, but the tar command is not working on it for some reason. "Command not found error"

I have to execute all the commands being a sudo, also how do I get to startx screen or GUI?

0 Kudos
marylandterp
Contributor
Contributor

Also, when I try to use Edit Settings, I get the following error message (see attached).

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

When the VM is powered down do you have the option to right click and to select Upgrade virtual hardware?

0 Kudos
marylandterp
Contributor
Contributor

no, see screenshot

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

I would create a new VM and not use the existing vmx file.

0 Kudos