VMware Cloud Community
chrischambers
Contributor
Contributor

basic Noobie questions

I am new to vmware so please forgive me as I have some basic questions.  

I am able to learn vmware for work,  so I through that I would build a home environment, by converting my unraid into a esxi host, 

so my questions are:   

is esxi free for home person use ?

as my unraid  having mix size disks, will this effect it, when I try to create the raid ?

and lastly - will I need a raid controller as with unraid I used a software raid controller that was build into unraid.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
IRIX201110141
Champion
Champion

There is the product "vSphere Hypervisor" which is the free one and free for home use and production as well. Its the same software but with disabled features because its controlled trough the license key.

ESXi doesnt support fake or chipset raid  so have single disks when speaking about local storage or you need a HW Raid controller when would like to have a RAID for protection and performance.

If you have a 2nd. PC/Server around think about to use your UNRAID as a NAS and present NFS to your ESXi on the other box.

For playing around you can install ESXi on a USB Stick.

About getting familar with VMware vSphere and the entire product line. I the past there where Hands on Lab (HOL) https://pathfinder.vmware.com/v3/page/hands-on-labs but i have my doubt that they have beginnner labs. But you should take a look.

Regards,
Joerg

0 Kudos