VMware Cloud Community
ricky73
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

backup snapshot

I need to save the whole Virtual Machine, snapshot included. I already read about Vmware knowledge base about snapshot.

Is there a way ? Can I poweroff machine and to save the whole datastore directory (vmx file + .vmdk) ?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Assuming that your datastore is a VMFS volume (i.e. not vSAN), you can copy the files. Make sue that you copy all files that make up the VM, and not only the vmdk, and vmx files.

Please keep in mind that thin provisioned virtual disks will inflate to their provisioned size when downloading them, because Thin Provisioning is a VMFS file system feature.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Assuming that your datastore is a VMFS volume (i.e. not vSAN), you can copy the files. Make sue that you copy all files that make up the VM, and not only the vmdk, and vmx files.

Please keep in mind that thin provisioned virtual disks will inflate to their provisioned size when downloading them, because Thin Provisioning is a VMFS file system feature.

André

0 Kudos
ricky73
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Does It exist free software can be permit to save VMFS5 files to other Windows repository  or to tape?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not sure what exactly you have in mind.

The "poor men's" solution is to enable SSH on the ESXi host, and use e.g. WinSCP to download the files.

André

0 Kudos