VMware Cloud Community
wizwire
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

backup help

I have 2 Dell PE 2850's that I have ESXi 4 installed on and running. I have gotten the GhettoBackup scripts set up and uploaded to the servers, etc. Only issue is automating the process.

I know you can schedule the backup using Windows, but what about from a Linux box? I have a standalone workstation with a large harddrive installed, with CentOS 5.3. I have the /backup directory shared out via NFS. All 3 servers are on the same network, and I have added the NFS /backup directory from the CentOS 5.3 box to the ESXi server as storage.

Any ideas how I can, from a cron job on the Backup server, run the backup script to back up the vm's to the NFS share?

Thanks in advance.

Jamey

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cookieme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi if you look at the instructions at the top of this document http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8760 you will find a section called Cronjob FAQ which explains how to do it.

Also, which version are you using? ghettoVCB or ghettoVCBg2? If your servers are on the HCL and have Intel VT or AMD equivalent then you can download VMware's vMA virtual machine and then use ghettoVCBg2.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
cookieme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi if you look at the instructions at the top of this document http://communities.vmware.com/docs/DOC-8760 you will find a section called Cronjob FAQ which explains how to do it.

Also, which version are you using? ghettoVCB or ghettoVCBg2? If your servers are on the HCL and have Intel VT or AMD equivalent then you can download VMware's vMA virtual machine and then use ghettoVCBg2.

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

There is an example on setting up a cronjob on ghettoVCB VMTN document, it's always a good idea to read through the doc Smiley Wink

This example holds true on both the ESXi host itself or on a remote system, on a remote system you would just need to setup paired SSH keys so that when it SSH to the ESXi host, it won't prompt for password and you probably want to add '&' to ensure the process is kicked off in the background that way you don't have to leave your SSH session.

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

VMware Developer Comuunity

Twitter: @lamw

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

wizwire
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Great, got it, thanks!

Now, to test :smileygrin:

Yeah I know about reading... problem is this is all kinda new to me still and I have read so much, I was getting thoroughly confused. I knew it was there, I just couldn't seem to find it :smileysilly:

0 Kudos
wizwire
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

They are in the HCL but unfortunately no built-in Virtualization in the CPU's... they were bought shortly before that tech was available. Everything seems to be in order now.

Thanks a lot guys! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
cookieme
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Good to hear Smiley Wink

0 Kudos