VMware Cloud Community
medea61
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

applying a host profile fails

Hello All

I am trying to apply a host profile to a new host in a cluster where all other nodes already comply to. Unfortunately this fails with an error that says "IP address x.x.x.x is used for multiple virtual NICs".

Anyone got an idea where this might be rootet? I am a little bit out of ideas right now.

TIA

Roman

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AndreTheGiant
Immortal
Immortal

This IP is unique?

Check your network configuration.

Have you create a host template from an existing host?

Andre

Andrew | http://about.me/amauro | http://vinfrastructure.it/ | @Andrea_Mauro
0 Kudos
robertl30
Contributor
Contributor

I have exact same issue. The IP its complaining about is the IP of the Service Console (vswif0). I have this on a Distributed Virtual Switch that has two physical uplinks. Can I not use Host Profiles with dvSwitches? Thanks.

0 Kudos
jfjoly2
Contributor
Contributor

Same error here. Anyone has a solution for this? Thanks.

0 Kudos
medea61
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Kind of. Reinstall your ESX. At least that's what I did and solved my issue.

0 Kudos
robertl30
Contributor
Contributor

I opened a case on this. VMware recommened reading the Host Profiles section in this document: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r40_u1/vsp_40_u1_esx_server_config.pdf. And gave this guidance: "You can edit a profile configuration policy to specify

how to assign an IP address when using the profile. In your case you'd want to select the

"User specified IP address to be used while applying the configuration"

option"

That did help. Once I set the IPs to be manually entered during profile application things went well. Since the SC on each host is unique you need to do this to keep them unique.

medea61
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Robert

That did help. Once I set the IPs to be manually entered during profile application things went well. Since the SC on each host is unique you need to do this to keep them unique.

As my template perfectly applied after reinstalling the server I'd assume this was not my problem altough I consider this a valid point to check.

Regards

Roman

0 Kudos
friedchicken
Contributor
Contributor

i'm having the same issue.

if i create a profile from my reference host and then apply it to itself it fails! i have reloaded a new server, tried to apply it and again i get the same error message.

has anyone else got any ideas?

thanks.

0 Kudos
david_bluml
Contributor
Contributor

We're having the same issue as well. It appears that when attempting to apply the host profile with both the vMotion and SC set to "Prompt the user for IP address if no default is available", it's trying to set both virtual NICs to the same IP, thus the "IP address x.x.x.x is used for multiple virtual NICs" error. If I change the SC to "User specified IP address to be used while applying the configuration", that works, however it prompts me for an IP for both the SC and the vMotion vNIC... not quite ideal, but a workaround.

0 Kudos
WEI
Contributor
Contributor

I have found that if you have FT & VMotion enabled (not a best practice but needed it for a lab) for the same vmkernal IP you need to disable FT from the original host and then create the profile changes mentioned in this thread. You can go back and re-enable the FT option on each host manually afterwards -but at least you can apply the profile...

0 Kudos