VMware Cloud Community
phillbl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

allow users to manage own servers

Hi,

we would like users to be able to access serves for their respective depts.  this would allow them to snapshot, reboot etc their own machines.

I am aware that you are able to set permissions with the vi client (web version) so that users can login.  from testing have noticed that although you can lock down the console it still shows large parts of the system for example user can still see options but are denied access.  can this be done so that the only see the sections they need.  if a user has permissions to 3 servers they see them but everything else is also hidden

scvmm 2008 & 2012 has a web portal that allow you to do this and users only what they need to see so i would like to do something like that.  would this require vcd, from reading this would be a little overkill.

any help appreciated.

thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
regnak2012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I get what you're trying to do - you've the permissions sorted but users can still "see" too much! I think you really need to look at vCloud Director or Lab Manager (EOL) here to scope the views and prevent users seeing other "customer" systems. Unless you can publish a URL that gives access to each VM directly, but I don't think the web client provides this?

Regards,

Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jrmunday
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

When you say "they can still see options", do you mean settings related to their own servers or other parts of the infrastructure?

vExpert 2014 - 2022 | VCP6-DCV | http://www.jonmunday.net | @JonMunday77
regnak2012
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I get what you're trying to do - you've the permissions sorted but users can still "see" too much! I think you really need to look at vCloud Director or Lab Manager (EOL) here to scope the views and prevent users seeing other "customer" systems. Unless you can publish a URL that gives access to each VM directly, but I don't think the web client provides this?

Regards,

Mike

0 Kudos