VMware Cloud Community
blu60077
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

adding additional RAM

I have a very simple question on adding more physical RAM to my host servers..

Once the physical RAM is added to my host servers (HP DL380's), is there anything I need to do within VM in order to recognize this newly installed RAM or will VM just... know?

any help is appreciated.

Blu

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi will recognize the ram automatically - the one caveat is to remember if you are using the free license you will be capped at 32 GB of physical ram in the ESXi host.

With the VMs if you want assign more virtual ram to the VM you will have to do that to each VM -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ScreamingSilenc
Jump to solution

I don't think you need to do any thing from the VM perspective, make sure that ESXi recognize the installed RAM correctly.

Thanks

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
blu60077
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thanks, but I guess that is part of the question, is there anything I have to do within ESXi to recognize the physical RAM?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ESXi will recognize the ram automatically - the one caveat is to remember if you are using the free license you will be capped at 32 GB of physical ram in the ESXi host.

With the VMs if you want assign more virtual ram to the VM you will have to do that to each VM -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
blu60077
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

thank you

0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc
Jump to solution

I would suggest you to upgrade host BIOS firmware when upgrading RAM.

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos