VMware Cloud Community
andyamato
Contributor
Contributor

add new disk to esxi 4.0 - unable too - does not appear

I have a couple of screen shots.  for some reason the new disk appears in the storage adapters as 0B and i am unable to add the new disk.  it does not see the disk.  rescanning all successfully completes but issue persists.  tips/ideas/suggestions.

Thanks!

Andy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What's the size of the disk/logical volume? Does it exceed the maximum of 2TB minus 512 Bytes?

André

0 Kudos
andyamato
Contributor
Contributor

they are 3 2TB drives for RAID 5 configuration...could that be it?  😞

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

This is most likely the reason. 3x2TB in RAID 5 makes ~2TB capacity. I'd recommend you use the ACU (Array Configuration Utility) on the Smartstart CD and create a logical volume(s) with less than the maximum size. Also keep in mind that a RAID 5 with 3 disks is one of the slowest RAID configuration you can have, due to the way RAID 5 accesses the disks. You hopefully have BBWC/FBWC in place!?

André

0 Kudos
andyamato
Contributor
Contributor

BBWC/FBWC?  i have no idea what that is...lol

can i scale back the size of the disk?  i didn't realize that...i'll check it out in the ACU.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

BBWC/FBWC?  i have no idea what that is...lol

BBWC = "Battery Backed Write Cache"

FBWC = "Flash Backed Write Cache"

BBWC/FBWC is an option for the P410 RAID controller and enables write-cache (write-back operation) which makes a huge difference in disk performance (usually factor 10x or more)

can i scale back the size of the disk?  i didn't realize that...i'll check it out in the ACU.
The ACU - other than the BIOS utility - lets you select the logical volume size to create.
André
0 Kudos