VMware Cloud Community
crazych
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

add local user

how add local user in esxi 5.5 i dont have tab users and group in vcenter server client and web client

12 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The Users & Groups tab is only available when you are directly connected to a host.

André

0 Kudos
crazych
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

And if I need to create a user that should have access to the virtual machine in the aisles of the cluster. Because users in this case will be bound to the host

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

To assign permissions, you'd usually create a folder in VMs & Templates to which you add the VMs, and configure the permissions on the folder. This way it doesn't even matter on which hosts in the cluster the VMs are running.

André

0 Kudos
crazych
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

the problem is that I cannot create user

0 Kudos
tedg_vCrumbs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You have to connect directly to the host with the client.  Or via power CLI.

Here is what you need.

How to – create a local user/assign permissions on an ESXi host - www.running-system.com

------ tedg Don't forget to mark posts as helpful or correct if they deserve it!
0 Kudos
crazych
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

if I connect to a host and create there a user, it is not visible in vCenter and I can't assign him the correct rights.

I need to add a user in vsphere.local so it would be visible in vCenter to assign rights. And I don't know how to do it. Help me to understand.

0 Kudos
tedg_vCrumbs
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok.

The term "local user" in vSphere typically means a user that exists locally to the host.  Hence the confusion here.

vSphere Security

See pages 57-74.

------ tedg Don't forget to mark posts as helpful or correct if they deserve it!
0 Kudos
crazych
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I understand you about it? The problem is that I have no point "Single Sign-On"

Add Members to a vCenter Single Sign-On Group

Members of a vCenter Single Sign-On group can be users or other groups from one or more identity sources. You can add new members from the vSphere Web Client.

Groups listed on the Groups tab in the vSphere Web Client are internal to vCenter Single Sign-On and are part of the vsphere.local domain. You can add group members from other domains to a local group. You can also nest groups.

The selected user or group is a member of the group and appears in the lower panel of the Groups tab.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

In order to access the SSO settings you need to follow step one and two from the description you posted, i.e. use the mentioned account (which - by default - is the only SSO administrator). Logging in as administrator@vsphere.local will show you the required options in the left navigation pane.

André

0 Kudos
crazych
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

how to change the password for administrator@vsphere.local I only have root access

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The password was either manually entered during setup, or - in case of a simple install - may still be on its default value "vmware". If you need to reset the password, take a look at VMware KB: Unlocking and resetting the vCenter Single Sign-On administrator password.

André

crazych
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

thank you helped!

0 Kudos