VMware Cloud Community
RJMoore
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

active memory higher than commit charge?

I got a win r2 vm with 4096 gb RAM. Memory usage alarms are being triggered on the vm.

Active memory shows as 3.96GB

ScreenShot1474.jpg

However in the guest the commit charge is only 3.3gb.

ScreenShot1475.jpg

How is this possible? from what I understand if the vm was actively using 4gb or ram then commit charge would have to be at least 4gb

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Robert Moore wrote:

Wow, great page, that the best explanation i've seen on the web. I've bookmarked that.

Thanks! (I wrote it.) Smiley Happy

Now i guess I can answer my own question, the reason active memory is so high is that my file cache (not represented in commit charge) must be very active?

Yes, Windows 2008 is quite aggressive to use any spare memory for caching purposes. Since it does not know it is virtualized this is a good behavior to actually make use of all memory that someone has bought to it.

My VMware blog: www.rickardnobel.se

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
pcerda
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

Check out this thread:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/840564

Best Regards

Patricio Cerda

Regards / Saludos - Patricio Cerda - vExpert 2011 / 2012 / 2013
0 Kudos
RJMoore
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

thanks, but i don't think they talk about commit charge being higher than active memory

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Robert Moore wrote:

I got a win r2 vm with 4096 gb RAM. Memory usage alarms are being triggered on the vm.

What exactly is the Windows OS version? Is it a Windows 2003 R2 or 2008 R2?

If it is 2003 R2, is it 32 bits? That would explain why the guest does not reach more than 3.3 GB.

0 Kudos
RJMoore
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's 2008 r2.

The system sees the entire 4gb memory allocated to it.

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What does the Physical Memory fields in Task Manager reports? And the green graphic bar?

See this how to sum them together: http://rickardnobel.se/archives/89

0 Kudos
RJMoore
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Wow, great page, that the best explanation i've seen on the web. I've bookmarked that

ScreenShot1483.jpg

Now i guess I can answer my own question, the reason active memory is so high is that my file cache (not represented in commit charge) must be very active?

One other question - what is the difference between the commit value (3159) and the 3.69gb in the green bar ?

0 Kudos
rickardnobel
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

Robert Moore wrote:

Wow, great page, that the best explanation i've seen on the web. I've bookmarked that.

Thanks! (I wrote it.) Smiley Happy

Yes, Windows 2008 is quite aggressive to use any spare memory for caching purposes. Since it does not know it is virtualized this is a good behavior to actually make use of all memory that someone has bought to it.

0 Kudos
RJMoore
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

yep, some other great articles on there too.

+1 to my RSS feeds

0 Kudos