VMware Cloud Community
alex_wu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

about vCenter 5 std.

Hi all,

I have a vCenter server 5 std. license, and I want to mange the VMware vSphere Hypervisor host, is it possible? and do I need to buy some other license? e.g. vCenter agent?

If I can manage the VMware vSphere Hypervisor with vCenter Server 5, how many vRAM entitlement per server the vCetnere server std. can manage?

thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
alex_wu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I pasted a link from VMware, how to understand it ? what is vCenter Server Agent license?

http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere-hypervisor/faq.html

How do I use VMware vCenter Server to manage my VMware vSphere Hypervisor hosts?

VMware vCenter Server provides centralized management for VMware vSphere Hypervisor hosts and their virtual machines. To manage a VMware vSphere Hypervisor host with vCenter Server, you must have a vCenter Server Agent license, which is included in all paid editions of VMware vSphere.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AureusStone
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The free version of the hypervisor can not be managed by vCenter.

You should talk to VMware licensing to confirm your current license situation.

It would be strange to be licensed for vCenter, without any vSphere licenses.

mcowger
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You need to license the hosts as well with at least ESXi Standard - the free version of the Hypervisor cannot be managed with vCenter.

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
alex_wu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I pasted a link from VMware, how to understand it ? what is vCenter Server Agent license?

How do I use VMware vCenter Server to manage my VMware vSphere Hypervisor hosts?

VMware vCenter Server provides centralized management for VMware vSphere Hypervisor hosts and their virtual machines. To manage a VMware vSphere Hypervisor host with vCenter Server, you must have a vCenter Server Agent license, which is included in all paid editions of VMware vSphere.

0 Kudos
alex_wu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

What is vCenter Server Agent license?

How to understand the below link?

0 Kudos
AureusStone
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

It just means the free version of ESXi does not include the "vCenter Server Agent license".  So in short if you pay for vSphere you can connect it to vCenter.  If you use the free license you can not connect it to vCenter, you can only use it as a standalone host.

0 Kudos