VMware Cloud Community
Saintly
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

a silly question on vCPUs

Hi,

I'm sure this is a silly question about CPUs for a VM but, I'm not quite positive that i have it correct and just want some confirmation.

I have a server with 2 CPUs with 6 Cores each. i.e. 12 Cores total in the server.

When setting up a VM and it lists how many CPUs to assign to it, is it talking full CPUs or Cores?

i.e. if i make a 1 CPU VM, is it getting access to 1 Core or to 6 Cores?

Thanks

Ian

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

IF the server is running multi-thread aware apps, I would only give it 2 vCPU's to start off with.

Normal SOP for creating new VM's is to assign a single vCPU first, adding more only IF it's required as proven (over time) by poor performance with just one vCPU. I've yet to find any VM's (especially when created fresh, and properly) that really benefitted from having more than 2 vCPU's assigned to it.

When you assign a vCPU to a VM, it's referring to cores, not sockets.

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
golddiggie
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

IF the server is running multi-thread aware apps, I would only give it 2 vCPU's to start off with.

Normal SOP for creating new VM's is to assign a single vCPU first, adding more only IF it's required as proven (over time) by poor performance with just one vCPU. I've yet to find any VM's (especially when created fresh, and properly) that really benefitted from having more than 2 vCPU's assigned to it.

When you assign a vCPU to a VM, it's referring to cores, not sockets.

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos