VMware Cloud Community
markmyers
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

a difficult flat file

I have a esxi server on a dell r710. it has a 500 gig flat file disk left over from a vm i deleted. i cannot delete it. it only returnes a general error saying a error occured on the specified file. I cannot remove it. i even tried to move it to the second datastore the same error occurs. i cannot find any referance to this file.its a very simple setup we do not even use vcenter to manage it. it does not even have backup program yet. geeze. I included a screenshot of the madness

please help. i do determine whats preventing it from removing

Im going crazy here TY Mark

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Walfordr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Enable SSH then you could try to SSH to the host or use the console ALT+F1. cd to /vmfs/volumes/<datastorename>/image-server.  Then try "rm -rf *" or at the /vmfs/volumes/<datastorename>/ folder level: "rm -rf image-server".

Message was edited by: Walfordr.  Replaced browsed with cd to the directory.

Robert -- BSIT, VCP3/VCP4, A+, MCP (Wow I haven't updated my profile since 4.1 days) -- Please consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you already try to either restart the services (/sbin/services.sh restart) or reboot the host?

André

0 Kudos
markmyers
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

i will try this tonight. there is 1 production vm that has traffic untill 6pm. ty

0 Kudos
Walfordr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Enable SSH then you could try to SSH to the host or use the console ALT+F1. cd to /vmfs/volumes/<datastorename>/image-server.  Then try "rm -rf *" or at the /vmfs/volumes/<datastorename>/ folder level: "rm -rf image-server".

Message was edited by: Walfordr.  Replaced browsed with cd to the directory.

Robert -- BSIT, VCP3/VCP4, A+, MCP (Wow I haven't updated my profile since 4.1 days) -- Please consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
0 Kudos
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you try what Walfordr says be extremely careful and double check before you hit enter.  Smiley Happy

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
0 Kudos