VMware Cloud Community
cruzenbye
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yellow ! for VMware network driver after upgrade to server 2003

We have an older Windows Server 2000 guest that was P2V some time back.  It is one of our domain controllers.   As part of the process to migrate our AD domain up to 2008, I had to try to upgrade this server to 2003 so our AD can be at 2003 as part of the migration to 2008.   Long story short, In order to upgrade to Server 2003, I had to remove the old Compaq Network Managment software from the machine.  This software was not listed in add/remove programs, so I went the manual route of removing the hidden drivers, when that still didn't work, I removed all registry entries referencing Compaq Network Management.  I proceeded with the upgrade, but when the system finishes, the local network connection is missing and in device manager has a yellow explaination point for the network adapter for VMware Acceleraged AMD PCInet adapter.

I recloned and retried the upgrade with only removing the registry entries for Compaq Network Mgt.  Again, after a successful upgrade the same problem appeared with the NIC.

I am not sure how to successfully remove the ghost for the Compaq when the software appears to not exist on the machine.  (nothing in Add/remove programs, nothing in C:\program files, nothing in the "Programs" list on the start menu.

Once I get the error on the NIC card I am unable to fix it.  I have tried reinstalling the VMWare driver from the VMTools directory, but that still fails.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not sure about Windows 2000, however IIRC the HP drivers can be removed trough the network adapter's properties!?

Also don't forget to re-configure the guest OS to Windows Server 2003 in the VM's properties after the upgrade. I'd probably also remove the NIC and add an E1000 NIC which is the default for Windows 2003 VMs.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not sure about Windows 2000, however IIRC the HP drivers can be removed trough the network adapter's properties!?

Also don't forget to re-configure the guest OS to Windows Server 2003 in the VM's properties after the upgrade. I'd probably also remove the NIC and add an E1000 NIC which is the default for Windows 2003 VMs.

André

0 Kudos
cruzenbye
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Andre,

I had already tried changing the OS and removing the nic, adding the E1000, with the same results.   I recloned and retried again, this time I went into the network properties of Local Area Connection and realized the Compaq Network teaming was an option that was unchecked.  Highlighted and uninstalled, then proceeded with the upgrade again, this time it was successful and kept the network connection after the install.

Thank you.  Now I can migrate this back into the production environment.

0 Kudos