VMware Cloud Community
MakerOfGames
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yanking Hosts between vCenter Server Instances

I have a client whose very old (ESXi v5.5) vCenter Server is behaving oddly. He can see all of the Hosts in the Desktop Client, but when he goes to the Web Client, one is missing. When he tries to re-add it, it tells him it is already present. The missing Host is one of two in a Cluster. He is thinking to clone the existing vCenter Server, delete everything out of it, and then add the Hosts to it again, essentially yanking them from the other vCenter Server, then delete the old vCenter Server, continuing on with the new one.

Normally you cannot remove a Host from a Cluster unless it is in Maintenance Mode. Getting attached to a different vCenter Server would seem to bypass that restriction.

So here are the questions:

1. Would doing this somehow impact or damage the Hosts that are yanked out of the Cluster?
  2. Would doing this potentially have any impact on the VMs running on the transferred Hosts?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
maksym007
Expert
Expert

I am not familiar with ESXi 5.5 at all. I don't know if there documentation for such version is still alive

0 Kudos
MakerOfGames
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I had no luck finding any, and I doubt such a scenario as is being envisioned would have been covered in it anyway.

That's why I was hoping to find a grizzled VMware guru here who had run into this sort of thing before, and would know.

0 Kudos
MakerOfGames
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For anyone who was wondering, doing this is fine. Doesn't impact the Hosts or the VMs running on them at all.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos