VMware Cloud Community
Robbo007
Contributor
Contributor

XP clients can't connect to certain ports on guest OS (W2003) server (Vsphere)

Hello all,

I've setup a Windows 2003 server as a guest OS under Vsphere 4.0 (U2). I'm running a piece of adhoc software which is listening on port 1550. My XP clients can't connect to the software and it looks like port 1550 is being blocked for some reason?

Does VSphere block any connections between the Guest OS and XP clients? Do I need to open anything on Vsphere firewall? The windows firewall on the server is disabled so its not that.

Thanks,

Rob

0 Kudos
4 Replies
eeg3
Commander
Commander

Nothing on the ESX side will block ports on guests. Do you have a firewall between the network which your clients are running and the network which the guests are running?

Blog: http://blog.eeg3.net
Robbo007
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. No firewall between the subnets. Its pure switching and VLANS. I've checked my Cisco switch config and all traffic is allowed from my clients VLAN subnet 192.168.13.x to my servers VLAN subnet 192.168.0.x

Its very strange as the rest of my servers work fine. There is a chance that the adhoc software is to blame but the company that sold me the software are oviously saying its my problem no theirs Smiley Sad

Could it be a virtual switch problem?

Rob

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Try to connect with telnet to that port from the virtual server itself, first.

telnet 127.0.0.1 1550

After that try its IP address:

telnet <IP address> 1550

You should receive some or no response but no error message if that port works.

AWo

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
Robbo007
Contributor
Contributor

Yep. Get a connection refused on both when doing this on the server. To me it points to the software not listening on the specified port but I just wanted to be sure that Vsphere was not blocking anything. I'll speak with the company that supplied the software.

Cheers,

Rob

0 Kudos