Hi all,

I rented a server with the following caracteristics:

- Quad Core Xeon 3330

• 8GB Mem

• Raid card LSISAS3041E

• 4 x 300GB SAS 15000rpm

• VMWare ESXi 4

I demanded a RAID 10 configuration.

The first problem is that i see in the Health status a RAID1E.

The second and more important problem is that the the maximum write speed in windows or linux hosts is 25MB/s. This is strange because i tested other systems and the result was better than that.

Is ther a way to see the physical disks information? What about RAID 1E, can i see the raid configuration.

I can't acess the server physicaly.

Thanks,

João Areias

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

does that raiD card have a battery on the raid controller (known as bbwc)? without write back enabled you are going to see horrible write performance.

ESX will only reports what the configuration might be...depending on how its given the information from the host.

You need to use an out of ban managmeent device to load up the controller and look at the configuration.

0 Kudos
jareiasMP
Contributor
Contributor

No, i don't think the card has a battery.

Out of ban management device? Don't know what it is.

IS there a way to see the information about the disks? From Vmware or any of the hosts on top of it.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You need to get a battery for that card if you want any performance out of it. When building servers, the first 2 requirements I include are bbwc and out of band controller.

Out of band (hp uses remote integrated lights out, dell uses remote access card, ibm uses rsa card). They give you bios level access to system (plus other features like power on/off,etc.

You will need to check with your server manufacture to see if they have vmware agents or utilities to see and/or manage the raid controller.

What make/model is that server?

0 Kudos