VMware Cloud Community
amfpg
Contributor
Contributor

Would like to know meaning about tier1, tier2, tier3,

Hi all,

is there any common reference to read about tier1, tier2 technical term?

data center tier, capacity management tier, application tier

thx

5 Replies
Wh33ly
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have a look at Five Tier Storage Model - Wikibon it gives a nice summary to start with and give you a bit of global view what the differences are.

JarryG
Expert
Expert

When talking about datacenters, Telecommunications Industry Association published ANSI/TIA-942 (telecommunications infrastructure standard for data-centers) wich describes various levels/tiers in much details. But afaik, this is not the only standard used. I.e. "Uptime Institute" described it differently...

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
amfpg
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks will look into your link.

0 Kudos
amfpg
Contributor
Contributor

thanks JarryG

is there any applicable tier1, tier2 other than data center or telecommunications?

sometimes i am confuse when i read some document or ppt in here, the talk about tier1, tier2 but when i try to google sometime the explanation between one and other different

0 Kudos
ChintanWaghmare
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, in generalized term its for categorizing your offerings based on your Business Criticality .. that might not be limited to just the Datacenter or Telecommunications but can be anything.. a Service,  a Product, a Hardware like Storage, Server etc  or your even customer Support.

For eg.. if you are supporting / hosting a business critical service/ application that needs to be available 24x7 then that would be classified as Tier1 service/application. If another application can sustain a small downtime but is an important one that can be classified as Tier 2 service or offering whilst if you have an Development/Test env for which Downtime doesn't matter then it would be a Tier 3 - 4... so and so forth

Another example say for example .. for Tier 1 VM.. a service provider would be offering best in class enterprise hardware like FC SAN, and  Highend Memory and power full CPU..
for its Tier 3 - 4 VM offering it might be a NAS storage, with bit low Ram and CPU offering.

or If you are referring Tier1 , Tier 2 to Datacenter Tiers then here the Tier refers to Redundancy and Availability .. Higher the Tier more the Redundancy and Availability.  Like for Tier 1 Datacenter the expected availability of Infrastructure and Service is of 99.671%, whilst for Tier 4 Datacenter the expected availability of Infrastructure and Service is of 99.995%

|| Chintan Waghmare | Twitter: @chintanwaghmare | http://www.thechintu.com ||