VMware Cloud Community
TobiasM
Contributor
Contributor

Windows update on the vCenter Server.

Hi

How should I handel windows update on my vCenter Server (Windows 2008r2 sp1)?

Rgds

Tobias

0 Kudos
5 Replies
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I patch it like any other MS server, focusing on critical and security releases on patch Tuesday.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
0 Kudos
GaneshNetworks

AFAIK, the recent patches for windows 2008 R2 SP1 is having good rapport with vCenter Server. Do install whatever required pathces on your VC. I bet that nothing will impact your VC functionalities. Worst case, VMware community is HERE for you.

-GaneshNetworks-

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

We patch the vCenter as the other MS system based on the criticality, Not seen any compatiablilty issue so far.

Are you facing any issue after MS patching or any specific reason to know about this??

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I basically agree with the other posters. Patching the vCenter serer is not much different from other server systems. However, it may depend on what the vCenter Server is used for. Do you only manage ESXi hosts or do also have e.g. VMware View in place?

On systems like the vCenter Server I'd recommend to configure Windows Updates to download automatically but run the updates manually. This way you can schedule the updates as you like and avoid any conflicts with other tasks (e.g. backups) which require vCenter Server to be available.

André

TobiasM
Contributor
Contributor

I was wondering how others handle windows updates on their vCetnter serves.

I want it to run smoothly with minimal effort Smiley Happy.

Today I download patches and updates manually, but I will schedule it to update the day after patch tuseday.

Rgds

Tobias

0 Kudos