VMware Cloud Community
Smudger7962
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows server 2008 R2 Enterprise on esx4.0 - Frozen mouse

I currently have an issue whereby the mouse randomly freezes while using a vsphere 4 client console. So far this has happened 4 times and on each ocassion whilst using the DNS admin mmc in 2008 R2. The mouse freezes and the system becomes unresponsive, CtrlALTINS does nothing. only option left is to power down the VM. this doesn't seem to happen if i use an MS RDP remote session to the same VM .

has anyone seen this or have any ideas?

thanks

smudger

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tWiZzLeR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The issue is with the VMware Tools video driver. I recommend uninstalling the VMware tools and then when reinstalling perform a custom install and de-select the video driver. This is a known issue with Windows Server 2008 R2 and WIndows 7 on ESX and only happens with a console session and not with remote desktop.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

since W2K8 R2 is not supported as a guest OS yet, that may be part of the problem. There have been threads open about weird issues. Some have said removing the guest tools may help.

Smudger7962
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for that , i should have checked the compatibility. Now have to decide what to do next ......

0 Kudos
tWiZzLeR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The issue is with the VMware Tools video driver. I recommend uninstalling the VMware tools and then when reinstalling perform a custom install and de-select the video driver. This is a known issue with Windows Server 2008 R2 and WIndows 7 on ESX and only happens with a console session and not with remote desktop.

0 Kudos
Smudger7962
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks very much for the reply - I uninstalled the tools and all appears fine.

smudger

0 Kudos
tWiZzLeR
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks very much for the reply - I uninstalled the tools and all appears fine.

smudger

I just wanted to point out that you should NOT remove all of the VMware Tools, only the video driver. The other tools are needed for obvious performance reasons. You should install the VMware tools, just not the video driver (for the time being).

0 Kudos