VMware Cloud Community
chuey2020
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Server 2016 losing network connection

Thanks in advance for reading.

I am running VMware ESXi 5.5.0 build-2068190 / VMware ESXi 5.5.0 Update 2 and vCenter 6.5 running. I have the latest VMware tools installed on my Windows 2016 Server v10.1.5-5055683 using VMXNET3 adapter. I'm running into an odd issue with my Windows Server 2016 template only. After I deploy the template and assign the IP I need - it will lose it's network connection after about 20 minutes. It's odd because the Network and Sharing center states I have a connection to the internet.  If I ping the VM my request times out and I cannot ping anything outbound from the VM.

It get's even weirder.  If I change the network that the adapter is set to from Network A to Network B and then back to Network A - it resolves the issue and it never happens again.

Has anyone seen similar issues? Could it be because I'm on ESXi 5.5 using Server 2016 and there's some bug?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you

0 Kudos
4 Replies
theaaronstrong
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What hardware version is your 2016 running on, hardware version 10? Have you installed Windows 2016 from scratch vs from a template to see if you can the same outcome?

0 Kudos
chuey2020
Contributor
Contributor

theaaronstrong​ Yes - I am running hardware version 10.

No - the only time I installed fresh is when I setup my template and if I remember I did not see this issue until I started deploying templates.

I can spin up a fresh one right now and see what the outcome is.

0 Kudos
chuey2020
Contributor
Contributor

theaaronstrong​ So I spun up a fresh Windows Server 2016, installed VMWare tools v10. Some more odd stuff happened.

I let it get it's IP info via DHCP and then pinged it's address and let it go for about 5,000 times.  No drops or request time outs.

I then assigned it a static IP Address on the same LAN - started to ping and around 1,300 it timed out again. And what I've noticed from previous VMs spun up using a template and this fresh one is it always times out around 1,300 - 1,500 pings.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
theaaronstrong
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This is super strange. Can you reset the TCP stack: "netsh int ip reset" ?

Is there an update to VMtools? Any firmware updates needed on the host with its NICs? Can you move the VM to a different host and get same outcome?

0 Kudos