VMware Cloud Community
Darwyn99
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows Server 2016 and EXSi 5.5

HI,

I'm testing deploying Windows Server 2016 to ESXi 5.5 guests.  I've created my template and I'm using SCCM as the deployment method.  I can successfully deploy Server 2016 this way and also integrate the install of VMWare Tools 10.0.3000743.  When it's all done and I log in everything looks great except for the fact that devices and printers it lists the NIC and the disks as devices and so they are ejectable.  As a result also, in the system tray you can click the USB icon and select Open Devices and Printers, or you can eject the vmxnet3 ethernet adapter and the SCSI disk devices.  It won't let you eject the disks since they are in use, but you can remove the network adapter.

I'm just a little nervous of someone logging into a server and accidentally removing the NIC.  Is this normal behavior, for the NIC and disks to show up as devices in Server 2016?  I've also deployed to Hyper-V and a physical system and this only seems to be happening on VMware guests.  osd4.jpgosd5.jpg

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
fescaros
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Darwyn99,
Can you please try the following KB article to see if this resolves your issue?

Disabling the HotAdd/HotPlug capability in ESXi 5.x and ESXi/ESX 4.x virtual machines (1012225) | VM...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
fescaros
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Darwyn99,
Can you please try the following KB article to see if this resolves your issue?

Disabling the HotAdd/HotPlug capability in ESXi 5.x and ESXi/ESX 4.x virtual machines (1012225) | VM...

0 Kudos
Darwyn99
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That did it.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

0 Kudos