VMware Cloud Community
sjoerdhooft
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Server 2012 won't release mouse cursor even with VMware Tools installed

Hi Everyone,

we run vSphere 5.1 (vCenter is 5.1 update 01) on hosts and have current VMware Tools installed. On Windows Server 2012 guests the mouse cursor does not get automatically released when you move the mouse cursor out of the virtual machine console. This is only on Windows Server 2012, on 2003/2008/2008R2 the mouse gets released automatically. We don't work that much with the console, but it's still annoying. Does anyone know what changed or how to fix this? Please let me know!

Kind regards

Sjoerd

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vNEX
Expert
Expert

Hi,

We are running W2K12 server on ESXi 5.1U2 release without any problems. Our actual VMTools version and build is 9.0.10 / 1481436.

What is the status of VMTools? are they up to date and running...

Service:

Image 003.png

Processes (vmtoolsd.exe):

Image 002.png

If Tools looks OK try to remove them and install them again.

Also check you Device Manager -> Mice and pointing devices if there is "VMware Pointing Device" listed and without any errors see:

Image 001.png

Regards,

P.

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
0 Kudos
sjoerdhooft
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanx for your response. Our VMware tools version is 9.0.0 which is the current and up to date version for 5.1 GA. We are planning on updating to 5.5 later this year, but let me get this straight, when you work in the console of the VM, you don not have to press <CTRL>+<ALT> to release the mouse?

Kind regards,

Sjoerd

0 Kudos
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I don't have any issue like that with my console access to W2012 or W2012R2 VMs on ESXi 5.1 U1/U2.

You can use newer VMware Tools versions on your VMs compared to the ESXi version your hosts are running. This is fully supported as per the VMware Product Interoperability Matrix. It shows that you can use even use the latest 5.5 U1 Tools on old ESX(i) 4.x hosts.

Doing this also saves you pointless updates and reboots should you upgrade your hosts soon.

I'd recommend trying your luck with a newer tools package first.

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
vNEX
Expert
Expert

Hi Sjoerd,

if you have VMTools properly installed the cursor should be released automatically without pressing <CTRL>+<ALT>....

Please check state of VMTools drivers in Device Manager and its services? Have you already tried reinstall them?

I would recommend  you to patch your environment as much as possible  preferably to the "latest 5.1" release 5.1U2.

Have a look at this KB it has quite interesting information ... bit obsolete but as last try it can be useful:

VMware KB: Mouse fails to respond in the virtual machine console

Yes you can install latest VMTools package but I would be more conservative if you want to go this way (as workaround) install latest tools for 5.1U2 release. You can download packages from here:

Index of /45848/tools/esx/5.1u2/windows/x64

Regards,

and Good Luck!

P.

_________________________________________________________________________________________ If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, P.
0 Kudos
sjoerdhooft
Contributor
Contributor

Well OK, I'll see if I can do something with the new tools and otherwise I'll wait for the upgrade. Thanks everyone.

0 Kudos
Tony1971
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I have a similar issue in a Windows 7.

Did you find a solution to this issue?

Best regards

/Tony

0 Kudos