VMware Cloud Community
Xudojnik
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Server 2012 doesn't boot on ESXi

Hi,

I have ESXi 5.1.0 build 799733 installed on the server. And VMware vSphere Client 5.1.0 Build 786111. As far as I get this version of ESXi should suport Windows Server 2012 setup. I downloaded both corporate & evaluation version of this OS from Microsoft site. I could also successfully install both those from DVD & iso file on Oracle VirtualBox as well as on a separate server. But then I try to install that OS from the DVD in there server the setup fails. Besides when I try to connect any of these 2 ISO files to a VM via vSphere Client it also fails.

Do you have any idea why if this happening?

I believe that link http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/microsite.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=2006859... is not applicable to my case.

11 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Xudojnik,

Can you provide more information on the way in which setup fails?  Attach a screen shot if it helps.  :smileygrin:

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
aaronwsmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Let's verify some basics that I'm sure are correct, but best to check...

1. Edit the VM hardware -> Options -> Generation Options.  Verify Guest OS is "Microsoft Windows Server 2012 (64-bit)"
  2. Verify virtual hardware version is at least 8 or 9.
  3. Check assigned virtual hardware to the VM and ensure it's supported: http://partnerweb.vmware.com/comp_guide2/detail.php?deviceCategory=software&productid=19174&supRel=1...
  4. Are you trying to use the Paravirtual SCSI controller?  If so, you need to slipstream an additional driver during install: http://partnerweb.vmware.com/GOSIG/Windows_Server_2012.html

Aside from that, what error(s) are you getting during installation/boot?

0 Kudos
Xudojnik
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, aaronwsmith.

1. Yes, that's right

2. It's vmx-09, see on the picture

3. Yes, supported. I have SCSI controller of LSI Logic SAS type.

4. No, I don't

0 Kudos
aaronwsmith
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vmx-09 is not quiet what I would expect to be seeing there.  Was this VM imported from somewhere else like VMware Workstation or from a template?

0 Kudos
Xudojnik
Contributor
Contributor

No, VM was created on this server with virtual hardware version 8 as I usually do. But I upgraded it the way as you could see on the new attached screenshot.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

But then I try to install that OS from the DVD in there server the setup fails.

Please explain what exactly fails. Doesn't the VM boot from the DVD/ISO at all (i.e. tries to PXE boot), or does the installation start and fail with some error message?

André

0 Kudos
Xudojnik
Contributor
Contributor

It interupts at several steps. Usually installation interupts after first reboot. I don't already remember (doing too many things)

If that would be needed I could re-try intstallation to give answers.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, please re-try the installation and provide as many details as possible.

In addition to this, download the VM's vmware.log from the VM's folder on the datastore and attach it to a reply post.

André

0 Kudos
Xudojnik
Contributor
Contributor

VM hardware version 8.

Guest OS version - Windows Server 2012 (64-bit)

SCSI controller type - LSI Logic SAS

Installation source - Windows Server 2012 x64 Datacenter & Standard Edition Evaluation (downloaded yesterday from MS website). Attachment of ISO file is failed, so I recorded again that ISO file to DVD and put in server's DVD-ROM.

"Loading files..." stage pass successfully.

After that there appears an error as in the attached file.

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

change your boot firmware to EFI instead of BIOS

Edit Settings--Options--Boot Options

Xudojnik
Contributor
Contributor

tried, unsuccessful

0 Kudos