VMware Cloud Community
dflint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Windows Server 2008R2 install - device driver is missing

I'm trying to install a Windows Server 2008R2 VM and getting this message in the Load Driver Window. A required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing.

Reading some posts on Friday indicated it may be a bad disk so I downloaded a new file and got the same message. When I browse and select either the CD Drive or Boot (X:) I receive the message No Device Drivers Found. We're running the latest versions of VSphere.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ISO image? Are you burning the CD or just using the native ISO? It still must be a bad download. That's a Windows message not a VM Ware message, so something is wrong with the disk.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
24 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

ISO image? Are you burning the CD or just using the native ISO? It still must be a bad download. That's a Windows message not a VM Ware message, so something is wrong with the disk.

0 Kudos
dflint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The first DVD was directly from Microsoft. The second DVD was was burned from a downloaded ISO. I uploaded the ISO to the datastore and installed from there without a problem.

0 Kudos
kumarsenthild
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi,

Are you put the DVD from Service Console ?if yes Mount ISO in VI client, try to boot the DVD

Regards

Senthil Kumar D

Regards Senthil Kumar D
0 Kudos
defrogger
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Doubt this is your prolblem, but ive had issues installing 2008 server from both ISO and DVD drive mount in test environments. Was getting drive errors that Microsoft articles said it was my DVD firmware. Turned out I didnt have enough memory available. I only had about 2 gigs free when 2008 really wants 4 gigs. I turned off another VM on the server to free up some memory and it installed fine after that

But im guessing you have enough memory

0 Kudos
buckmaster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Did you get your problem solved? If so what was the solution as I am having the exact problem. Yes my CD is in the ESX server.

Tom Miller
0 Kudos
dflint
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The first DVD was directly from Microsoft. The second DVD was was burned from a downloaded ISO. I uploaded the ISO to the datastore and installed from there without a problem.

0 Kudos
buckmaster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That's exactly what I did to get around the error was to mount the CD via an ISO file. Strange - wonder if VMware knows this?

Tom Miller
0 Kudos
laurag
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Here's what I've found on VMware Knoledge Base: Unable to install Windows 2008 R2 64bit as a virtual machine

Maybe it helps you.

Cheers,

Laura

0 Kudos
WimS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hey there,

Had the same issue and solved it by....:-?

I already had a Windows 2008 R2 VM. Installed that a while ago by mounting an ISO. that worked then...

In the mean time we upgraded to vSphere 4.1

Now everytime the install starts, but then states the CDrom is not known....select driver.

I copied the file "cdrom.sys" from the running VM and burned it on a CD. When asked I inserted that CD and browsed to it.....NOT the right driver???

But.....I then ejected that CD (at the host) and reinserted the original MS Windows 2008 R2 DVD......it as by magic went on!!

So.....hope you can get it to work this way as well. Don't know for sure, but think inserting any other CD will do the trick?

Kind regards & best of luck!

0 Kudos
Massoger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I was having the same issue....following the advice of WimS, I inserted any other dvd I had laying around, the install of course didn't find any drivers, but I switched back to the 2008 R2 dvd and the install proceeded without issue.

This is using an OEM Microsoft dvd.

Looks like it's more a VMWare issue than a Microsoft issue.

Thanks WimS.

Dave

0 Kudos
RalphieK
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Guys, for me it just doesn't work. I tried to replace the DVD and/or .iso file back and forth with other ones with no results. BUT it has to be something wrong with Microsoft .iso file because my DVDs (which I received from Microsoft) works without a problem, However those downloaded from VLSC does not, either within vCenter or Workstation7.

Thanks,

Ralphie

EDIT: Yep, Microsoft issue. I tried install it on Virtual Box as well, and the same thing happens, plus, you can't even copy install.wim file because of "Invalid MS-DOS function"

-- RalphieKay
0 Kudos
Dargan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just ran into this problem using DVDs running from the host on two Dell R710s and the only solution I found that worked was shutting down the other VMs and then running the install. It worked on both units and I have no idea why that would matter, but it worked. Not the best option if you have most of your network running on these and you have to shut them all down to get something new installed or get something recovered.

I guess I will worry about that later.

0 Kudos
Prolific2011101
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I had the same issue, uploading it to my SAN and mounting it directly fixed the issue.

0 Kudos
baggins2000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have the same setup as Dargan and that is what worked for me.  Set memory at 4GB and put CD in host CD-ROM and shut down all VM's.  Don't know why but it worked.

Moving on.

Would be nice if MS said ," Hey you're going to need a minimum of 4GB for install".

0 Kudos
baggins2000
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Addendum to my previous comments.  I began installing on a second server and ran into problems.  Switched back and forth between CD-Rom and iso.  Finally rebooted Vsphere and then restarted installation of 2008R2 and still had to switch between my image and CD-Rom.  Finally it worked.  There appears to be no rhyme or reason to it.  If I hadn't done this before I probably would have given up.

0 Kudos
Kodukula
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I am trying into Install windows 2008 R2 on Vmware  workstation 8 issue installation got stucked  saying required CD/DVD driver is missing it looks like  missing SATA/AHCI controller drivers.Is there any patch or  fix for resolving this issue .

Regards,

Bharani

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

on Workstation switch to leagcy emulation - if you dont have the iso file ready at hand

0 Kudos
Kodukula
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks Continuum  it worked

Regards,

Bharani

0 Kudos
PxPxger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am not physically in front of this ESX server so I cant stick a CD rom into the actual ESX box.  I am using ESX 5i and trying to install WIndows 2008 R2 X64 with the Microsoft ISO.  I am getting the exact same error as everyone else here.  I checked my bios settings on the box and VT is enabled. 

0 Kudos