VMware Cloud Community
itmv2
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Server 2008 shared drives and VNC client access no longer available on LAN

I run a Windows Server 2008 VM on an ESXi 6.5 host. I have 2 drives shared, with read access for Everyone on the LAN. This share has been working fine for a few years. I also have VNC server installed, for access from VNC clients on the LAN. Both have been working fine for years.

Today I replaced the router which acts as the DHCP server on my LAN. The old router was an Asus RT-AC68U. The new router is a Netgear X4S R7800. They are configured the same way (I replaced the Asus router because it developed a fault).

Since the change I have lost access to the shared drives on the Windows Server VM (e.g. from Windows 10 clients), and I can also no longer connect to it using the RealVNC client on Windows 10 clients that I have been using for years. Both the shares and the VNC servers remain set up correctly on the Windows server.

I can ping the Windows server VM from Windows 10 machines on the LAN. I just can't access the shares or the VNC server. I made no configuration changes to either the ESXi host or the Windows Server VM.

I can still access shares on a Lubuntu VM on the same ESXi host, and can also access it via VNC, so there doesn't seem to be a problem with the network adapter on the host.

Any idea what the problem might be?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
nachogonzalez
Commander
Commander

Hello, hope you are doing fine.

It doesn't seem like this issue is related to VMware in any way.
That being said, are you sure the new router does not have sort of firewall enabled?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
itmv2
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I eventually worked it out. There was an IP address conflict on the LAN. Even though the Windows VM had a static VM address, the router had assigned the same IP address to another device (maybe while I was reconnecting the server).

All is working fine now.

0 Kudos
usmanshoukat521
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, hope you are fine

I think it's not the issue is related to VMware in any way. please check your ports 

thanks

0 Kudos