VMware Cloud Community
OBXMAN007
Contributor
Contributor

Windows Server 2008 R2 - becomes UNresponsive - can't remote desktop - can't login via console

Environment: ESX server 4 Update 1

VM: Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit with vmware tools installed

Problem: vm becomes completely unresponsive - can't remote desktop - can't even login via vcenter console

sometimes if I can login via vcenter console, screen just hangs at "Welcome" , never going to desktop

Any fix for this ? OS is supported by ESX 4 U1

0 Kudos
12 Replies
geddam
Expert
Expert

Windows 2008 R2....is a supported version with ESX4 U1.

1. How the VM is created> From a template?

2. What other softwares are running on this (AV, Java etc)

3. What happens if you migrate the VM to another host or another datastore (do you see the same behaviour)?

4. Is this VM completely patched with Microsoft updates?

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V), SNIA SCP.

Please award points, if helpful

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
0 Kudos
OBXMAN007
Contributor
Contributor

1. How the VM is created> From a template?

Yes, template

2. What other softwares are running on this (AV, Java etc)

nothing - pure OS

3. What happens if you migrate the VM to another host or another datastore (do you see the same behaviour)?

yes

4. Is this VM completely patched with Microsoft updates?

yes

0 Kudos
geddam
Expert
Expert

What do you see in eventvwr.....? how are the performance stats? Have you tried uninstalling the tools and then tried?

Thanks,,

Ramesh. Geddam,

VCP 3&4, MCTS(Hyper-V), SNIA SCP.

Please award points, if helpful

Thanks,, Ramesh. Geddam,
0 Kudos
OBXMAN007
Contributor
Contributor

nothing in event viewer

stats are good

reinstall has same issues - sporadic lock-up

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

How about a completely fresh VM, not deployed from a template? What did you give the VM for resources? What is your host (resources there too)?

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
OBXMAN007
Contributor
Contributor

the vm is very fresh (you use my lingo - I get made fun of here at work for using "fresh" - i'm all about the freshness) - deployed on esx 4 u1 - 2008 R2 64 bit

hosts are big NEW honking IBM 3850 M2s with tons of ram and resources

this keeps pointing to vmware tools (like driver issues) in my opinion - vmware needs to get this fixed - can anyone escalate this to vmware development ?

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

I don't think it's the VMware tools that are the issue here. I've been running a Windows Server 2008 Enterprise R2 x64 for well over two months now with zero issues.

I'm still waiting for the spec's of the Server 2008 VM...

Just because it's "fresh" doesn't mean something was done to it that made it go rotten. Just because it's sitting on a "honking" server doesn't mean resources are not allocated improperly. Things still need to be configured properly, and wisely, in order for servers to function properly. If you're no longer the only person with admin level rights, ask the other person (or people) if they had touched that VM between the time when it was stable, to when it started showing issues.

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos
dmadden
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There are known issues with the XPDM display driver (SVGA II) and Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 7. XPDM drivers are not supported by VMware and Microsoft on these operating system versions and its usage can cause stability issues.

Try to switch the display driver to the WDDM version that we ship (http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1011709). Also make sure that you are actually at ESX 4 U1. The build should be 208167.

If you are still experiencing issues and are not able to get assistance, please file a support request.

Thanks

0 Kudos
OBXMAN007
Contributor
Contributor

i have applied fix/wddm driver as described in link provided.

it appears many people are experiencing these same symptoms ---> sample: http://communities.vmware.com/message/1344904

My suggestions to vmware:

1. The vmware tools install process for 2008 R2 needs to be fixed to install the wddm video driver (by default) and not the svga driver - the svga driver was installed on our vm by default

2. VMware needs to thoroughly test the current vmware tools with 2008 R2 and determine if there are additional driver issues causing any sporadic issues (freezing, etc) such as described

the appropriate vmware development team needs to be made aware of this, and this needs to be fixed asap - thanks.

0 Kudos
dmadden
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A fresh install of Windows 2008 R2 on ESX 4 Update 1 should not install any vmware tools display driver (XPDM or WDDM). Using the Microsoft SVGA driver and/or the WDDM driver should not cause any hanging issues. If you installed Windows 2008 R2 on a previously unsupported version such as ESX 4 GA, then the XPDM driver would have been installed. The upgrade preserving the incorrect driver is known to VMware.

The response that I added to this case was merely speculation that the display driver was causing the issue. The issue you are experiencing could be caused by a variety of factors (i.e. vmware or third party defect). If the issue is still occurring, the best course for a resolution is to open a support ticket.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
OBXMAN007
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the feedback. It is unknown how the incorrect driver was installed.

Installing the WDDM driver has kept the vm in question stable today so I hope that is all that was incorrectly configured.

If we continue to experience any additional hangs with 2008 we will definitely open a ticket.

Looking good so far - vm seems to be more responsive now as well.

0 Kudos
OBXMAN007
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the feedback. It is unknown how the incorrect driver was installed.

Installing the WDDM driver has kept the vm in question stable today so I hope that is all that was incorrectly configured.

If we continue to experience any additional hangs with 2008 we will definitely open a ticket.

Looking good so far - vm seems to be more responsive now as well.

0 Kudos