VMware Cloud Community
haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Windows Server 2003 hot-plug

Hi Folks, we observed some strange behaviour while enabling memory hot-plug for 2003 VMs. VMs set as "Windows 2003 32-bit" giving option to enable memory hot-plug where same options are not even visible for VMs set as "Windows 2003 Std 32-bit". As i verified compatibility, 2003 Std 32 bit does support memory hot-add.

Can anyone please clarify wham am i missing?

Thanks!

Regards,

Hari.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Hari,

All the references I can find on the Microsoft site suggest that only the Enterprise and Datacenter Editions of Windows Server 2003 support memory hot add.  e.g. Hot-add memory support in Windows Server.

But... I can see that our own Guest OS Compatibility Guide says that the Standard Edition supports it too.  Is that where you were looking?  As far as I can tell, that document seems incorrect...

Thanks,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Hari,

All the references I can find on the Microsoft site suggest that only the Enterprise and Datacenter Editions of Windows Server 2003 support memory hot add.  e.g. Hot-add memory support in Windows Server.

But... I can see that our own Guest OS Compatibility Guide says that the Standard Edition supports it too.  Is that where you were looking?  As far as I can tell, that document seems incorrect...

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Hi Darius, thanks for your response. I have verified the document and given nod for enabling hot plug to client. But when team attempted to enable hot plug they couldn't see the option itself even when the VM is down. Later I verified for 2003 Std guest where VM OS type is set as "2003 32 bit" is having option for hot plug. But 2003 std guest with correct tag as "2003 std 32-bit" doesn't have hot plug option itself. hope you can follow me.

Thanks.

Hari.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I understand. My question is: Which document were you using to verify?

--

Darius

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

OK, that's what I thought.  I will see about having the document corrected, since it seems that we are advertising support for a feature that the OS itself can not support.

--

Darius

haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Thank you! It will be really helpful if you can post any supportive document stating same once available. It is creating giving room for unwanted confusions with customer.

0 Kudos
MKguy
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

The official VMware GuestOS HCL also states that hot-add memory is supported for 2003 editions (R1 and R2, 32/64bit), it does not differentiate features between Standard/Enterprise/Datacenter editions:

VMware Compatibility Guide - 2003 R2 64bit

VMware Compatibility Guide - 2003 R2 32bit

VMware Compatibility Guide - 2003 R1 64bit

VMware Compatibility Guide - 2003 R1 32bit

-- http://alpacapowered.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
haripadmam
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Yes, but compatibility guide i have shared in my earlier post creating confusion where it clearly states support for Windows 2003 Standard 32/64bit memory hot-plug!

0 Kudos