VMware Cloud Community
jtlee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Windows Server 2003 R2 - Guest Customization "Windows customization resources were not found on the server"

Disclaimer: I am an NOOB.  I am trying to create a 2003 R2 template that I can deploy from and use the guest customization to run through sysprep.  I have downloaded sysprep and tried following instructions I have found.
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100559...

"If vCenter Server is installed on any other Windows operating system, <directory_path> is%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\Sysprep\ which generally translates to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\Sysprep\ by default."

I don't have the directory "VMware VirtualCenter" on my machine, does this mean I don't have something installed on the VM?

I have:
%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\VMware\Compatability

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\VMware\VMware Tools

I tried to manually create VMware VirtualCenter\Sysprep\svr2003  and copy all the sysprep files in there but that didn't do the trick.

I am going to keep hunting around for the proper instructions but if someone can help me out I would appreciate it.

We are using

vSphere Client 4.1.0

VMware vCetner Server 4.1.0

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

what is the Host OS of your vCenter Server?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

what is the Host OS of your vCenter Server?

0 Kudos
jtlee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ahh I see it now, I was looking on my VM, not the host.  I looked at the host and I see the directory structure....  I moved the sysprep files to the host and that worked.

Thanks for the point in the right direction, I told you I was a NOOB

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

yes, as you've found out the sysprep files will reside on your vCenter Host OS.  Glad you got it resolved!

0 Kudos
jtlee
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

2008 Server R2

0 Kudos